1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

F keys?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jdemnyan1116, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

Is there a web site that can tell you what the F1,F2, etc keys are for and what they do? I know you usually only use F1 F5, and F10 I think. Would appreciate any help on the matter. Like to know a little more than just pushing buttons.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The function keys do different things depending on which program is running and which combination of keys is pushed. For example alt>F4 generally will close an open window. F1 by itself is generally context sensitive help ie help for the program you are using. Running under windows the keys would do different things than say a program running under DOS.

So the short answer to your question is no there is no set functions for the keys; it depends on key combinations and what the program you are running at the time is programmed to do.

3. rude

rude

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The keys have program-specific functions, as mentioned, but the usual XP definitions include:
    F1 Help
    F2 Rename selected item
    F3 Search for a file or folder
    F4 Display the Address bar list in My Computer or Windows Explorer---or---Display the items in the active list
    F5 Refresh the active window
    F6 Cycle through screen elements in a window or on the desktop
    F10 Activate the menu bar in the active program
    F11 Toggle full screen for IE

5. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

I meant, when they tell you to push a key before your system starts up? Like to reset things in your computer. The tech guy said to push F1 as soon as you start the computer, keep on hitting the keys. It launched me into something I didn"t know about but saw it before. Then he said to hit F5 and do something in there. Don't plan on getting into there but was just curious about the key meaning on startup.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice