1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

F10 not working for system restore on startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by theshape, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theshape

theshape Thread Starter

Hi
    Hopefully I am posting in the right area here! I am trying to do a system restore to reset my computer to the day I bought it. It does not give me the usual 'F10' option. I can't load windows because an error comes up that says 'floppy diskette seek failure'. I am on my ps3 trying to find answers so i can at least load windows. I am running windows xp on a Dell Dimension system. Thanks in advance for any assistance, it is appreciated!

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Model of Dimension?

Dell restore uses

ctrl + F11 for XP

F8 for Vista and W7

3. theshape

theshape Thread Starter

thanks mumbodog,

it is a dell dimension E520. I tried the ctrl+F11 funtion but it didn't seem to work. Am I supposed to wait until a certain point at the bootup process to do this? thanks for your help

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Do a cold start of the PC, hold ctrl down and start tapping F11 repeatedly when you see the Dell splash screen.

5. theshape

theshape Thread Starter

Thanks,
    I have tried to do a cold start about 5 times and still only get the screen with the same 2 options.... 'Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility'. any other suggestions?

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

7. theshape

theshape Thread Starter

Yes the OS was reinstalled about 4 months ago. I'm certainly not on a tech level with this stuff! Think i'll just go buy a laptop tomorrow, it's not worth the money to fix it now, IMO. For the price i was given i can get a new laptop for another $100. Thank you very much for you time and help though! cheers!

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Why not reinstall it again? Using the Dell XP CD.

9. theshape

theshape Thread Starter

well, i don't actually have the cd, and i wouldn't know how to do it...i've never done a reinstall before. it probably sounds more complicated than it is, but i'd still be lost!

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

So what happens when you press F1? It should just boot into Windows.
    You can also press F2, enter Setup, and disable the Floppy disk drive, or turn off the floppy disk seek at boot.

If you don't have one, it could be your CMOS battery is dead or dying, and the BIOS has reset itself to default, which often includes enabling the Floppy disk drive, even if you don't have one.

12. theshape

theshape Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help guys, it is greatly appreciated....however today I took the lazy way out and bought a refurbished laptop for $200....runs awesome except I don't see any options to disable the built in mouse. In control panel under the mouse icon it doesn't present a 'devices' category, so i am having trouble disabling it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice