1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

F8 key doesn't work during Windows XP Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Denthral, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Denthral

Denthral Thread Starter

I had recently been using Ubuntu when I decided to make the decision to move back to XP, so i dug out my installation CD and to my shock and horror that upon getting to the point where you have to press F8 to accept the License I am unable to. i have tried to do so with three different keyboards, all with no luck i have looked at other site to only find one which requires you to pay to see the answers to the questions.

I have been browsing here for a while and know you all know what you are talking about, hopefully you can help me as well.

2. bbearren

bbearren

Are the keyboards you're trying USB keyboards? If so, which USB port are you using?
    Does your PC have PS2 ports, and do you have a PS2 keyboard?

3. devil_himself

devil_himself

Lets see if this helps

Turn off computer >> remove electricity >>> wait for 1 -2 minutes >> and restart installation

4. Denthral

Denthral Thread Starter

All the keyboards are wireless, with a USB hub plugged in, the odd thing is that the F8 works otherwise it is just that during the installation it doesn't.

I will give that a try, thanks.

5. Skydawg

Skydawg

Don't plug it into the hub, plug it directly into the computer, would be the best bet. If it's not detecting the keyboards, and you have a PS2 slot for a keyboard, I would use that, but I wouldn't plug my keyboard into a hub when trying to load.

6. bbearren

bbearren

That's because USB support is not fully installed at that point. Is your keyboard plugged into one of the top two ports on the machine itself?
    Do you have PS2 ports on your machine, and access to a PS2 keyboard?

7. Denthral

Denthral Thread Starter

I have the ports for both a mouse and keyboard but the oddest thing is that it was just about a few weeks ago that I downgraded from Vista to XP and had no problems with any F8 issues.

The problem with the whole thing is that i don't think I have a PS2 keyboard available to me, I will have to check.

Any other possible solutions?

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Eventually you should have a PS2 keyboard if your USB one doesn't get recognized. For example, if you even would need to get to your BIOS, you would need a PS2 style keyboard. They shouldn't cost more that a few dollars for a basic one.

9. Denthral

Denthral Thread Starter

Alright, well I am going to look around the house some more and if push comes to shove I should be able to pick up a cheap one at Target for about $10 or so.

10. bbearren

bbearren

Is your USB keyboard plugged into one of the top two ports on the machine? If the motherboard has built-in USB support, the top two ports are usually the ones that work, and they don't need OS support.

11. Skydawg

Skydawg

Motherboard support, as bbearren said, is good on the top two USB ports. I just wouldn't use a hub, I would direct connect the motherboard. New PCs are not coming with PS2 anymore, so it will be harder to find PS2 mice and keyboards, if you have a good set, keep them for a while. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice