1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

facebook chat

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chulea, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chulea

chulea Thread Starter

Recently (in the past week), my chat in facebook has begun acting up. It opens with each page change but closes within a minute. It opens each time I change pages but then closes again. Any suggestions?

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    What is your OS? We can move this to the appropriate forum..

3. chulea

chulea Thread Starter

Vista

4. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Okey Dokey..:)

5. chulea

chulea Thread Starter

The private message you sent - I couldn't open it

6. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Don't worry, it just said that your post was moved here..(y)

7. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Have you cleared your cookies? And, what kind of security do you have? Anti-virus and anti-malware, that is...

8. chulea

chulea Thread Starter

Yes - I've "tossed" my cookies. I have Symantec and also Ad Ware

9. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

10. chulea

chulea Thread Starter

Thank you for the info digital but I followed the link and found this:

"After O’Hear alerted Facebook to the problem, the company took down its live chat function temporarily. As of Thursday, it was up and running again."

Mine STILL isn't working. It hasn't been for over a week now. It opens briefly but by the time I click on a friend and start typing, it closes and give me the warning again.

This is VERY frustrating.:(:mad:(n)

11. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Understood. What browser are you using (IE, Firefox, etc.)? Perhaps resetting the browser settings may work.

Internet Explorer:
    1. First, close Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer prior to proceeding with the next steps.
    2. Now, open Internet Explorer by clicking Start, then Internet Explorer or by double clicking on the Internet Explorer shortcut located on your PC desktop.
    3. Next, after Internet Explorer is open, at the top of the Internet Explorer window, click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
    4. Next, click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
    5. Select the Delete personal settings check box (this will remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, and Private Filtering data).
    6. Next, in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
    7. After Internet Explorer has completed the application of default settings, click Close, and then click OK.
    8. Now, close Internet Explorer and then reopen and try again to connect to the Internet to confirm that the issue has been resolved.

Firefox:
    1. Close Firefox if it is currently running.
    2. Click Start, then Run.
    3. Type firefox -P and click OK.
    4. When the Profile Manager appears, click on "New" and follow the steps.
    5. Select the new profile and click OK.
    6. Try to access Facebook chat to see if this resolves it, if not close and restart Firefox.
    7. When the profile manager appears, select the new profile and click "Delete".
    8. Select the original profile, check the "Don't ask me" checkbox and click OK.

Hope this helps!

12. chulea

chulea Thread Starter

Did the reset but it didn't help - next suggestion?:((n)

13. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

What about trying a different browser to see if it is something related to your browser rendering the chat session? If you're using IE, try downloading Firefox. If you're using Firefox, try using IE.

Does the problem occur in either browser?

14. ckhatri1

ckhatri1

Notably FB chat also still has many bugs and keeps playing up on a daily basis. Further more i believe different regions of the world are updated with different bug fixes at different rates. So it also depends on where you are in the world to how well your fb chat works.

A way around this is usually to click on the bottom right of the screen where it says ''Chat (x)'' - with x being the number of people you have online. and then scrolling up to the top of this window where you have an ''options'' tab. Click on this and one of the options should be ''Pop-out Chat''

Try using pop-out chat because it is by far the most stable way of using fb chat. If the problem still persists i would consider contacting the fb team as they are actually surprisingly good in their replies!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice