Facebook question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gregggregg

Hi I was wondering if it possiable to block facebook chat from my computer but still acess the site.

Try adding the following line to your hosts file, which should redirect the chat window to localhost, effectively blocking it.

Code:
127.0.0.1     http://www.facebook.com/presence/popout.php

Hi!
You can always hide. You can mark yourself offline from the chat section.

gregggregg

no i want to diable the chat for good so my daughter can not chat but still use facebook

You can find information about the location of your hosts file here. Find your hosts file, open it with a text editor, add the line and restart your computer. This should block the chat from connecting.

gregggregg

Sorry Im not very computer smart but how do I do it. I dont think I have a text editor and if i do do I just tpye in the code and where do I find the code at.

DoubleHelix

Banned
It doesn't matter because that doesn't work. I'm not sure what your goal is with controlling Facebook access, but your teenager is likely far more savvy than you are and would find a hundred other ways to get around a simple technical restriction.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online