1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Facebook question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gregggregg, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gregggregg

gregggregg Thread Starter

Hi I was wondering if it possiable to block facebook chat from my computer but still acess the site.

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Try adding the following line to your hosts file, which should redirect the chat window to localhost, effectively blocking it.

Code:
    127.0.0.1     http://www.facebook.com/presence/popout.php

3. gregggregg

Do I type this as the url or do i have to go into settings

4. maceman

maceman

Hi!
    You can always hide. You can mark yourself offline from the chat section.

5. gregggregg

no i want to diable the chat for good so my daughter can not chat but still use facebook

6. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

You can find information about the location of your hosts file here. Find your hosts file, open it with a text editor, add the line and restart your computer. This should block the chat from connecting.

7. gregggregg

Sorry Im not very computer smart but how do I do it. I dont think I have a text editor and if i do do I just tpye in the code and where do I find the code at.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It doesn't matter because that doesn't work. I'm not sure what your goal is with controlling Facebook access, but your teenager is likely far more savvy than you are and would find a hundred other ways to get around a simple technical restriction.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice