1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Facebook Scrabble

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dano_61, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Hello

I play Facebook scrabble and it takes for ever to make a move, could it be my RAM my computer specs are Windows XP Professional SP3 2G RAM
    Is my computer the issues ?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2045 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 74 GB (30 GB Free); F: 698 GB (40 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0N6381
    Antivirus: IObit Malware Fighter, Updated: No, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

Thank you

Dan

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What browser are you using? Firefox or Internet Explorer 8?

3. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Hi Phantom

I am using latest Opera but i will try Firefox for a few days and report back

4. Phantom010

5. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

So i guess i need to get a new machine

6. Phantom010

For the Internet at least.

If you wish to keep on using a desktop computer, there are a few alternatives, depending on what you're planning to do with a computer. I'm enjoying my new Chromebox right now:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/one-alternative-to-xp.1208097/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  7. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Chromebox seems limited ? is it a real hard drive does it work with all aspects of a desktop, i have a Seagate mini hard drive

Also i did not mention that i changed my paging file to custom settings is that a good idea or should i allow my computer set paging size

8. Phantom010

The Chromebox fits in one hand. But, Chrome OS doesn't allow the installation of Windows programs. You can only install apps and extensions from the Chrome Web Store or the Google Play Store. Other apps are also available on the Web specifically for Chrome OS. It still behaves like a desktop but with no bells and whistles. You cannot alter the OS in any way, meaning you will not have access to a "registry" or to the "services", nor to deep system settings. The whole security aspect behind Chrome OS is to constantly be inside a sandbox so the OS cannot be compromised. You cannot mess it up like a Windows computer. The hard drive is only 16 GB and mainly for the OS, for installing apps and running other functions, but can be upgraded. If you need more space, an external hard drive is ideal. You can access plenty of apps online, like the complete Office Online suite. Like I said, it's not for everybody. If you absolutely need your Windows software, they won't install on a Chromebox. For most of us though, who mainly use a computer to browse the Internet, type Word documents, watch movies and listen to music, it's perfect. But keep in mind that there's A LOT of stuff you won't need anymore, like an antivirus and anti-malware software, and all sorts of maintenance software...

upload_2018-4-7_10-4-50.png

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  9. Phantom010

What are the settings for the paging file?

10. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

1524 x 3048

11. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Chromebox is thinking out of the box excuse the pun but i like my conventional desk top , i have had this system for 3 years but really need to upgrade to at lease Windows 7

12. Phantom010

You'll have a lot of trouble finding a Windows 7 disk. Extended support for Windows 7 will end in 2020. You'll have to start all over again. I'm done with Microsoft. For what I now need a computer for, Chrome OS is perfect. It's freedom! :)

13. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Sorry if you already mentioned but what devise do you use to run Chrome OS

14. Phantom010

[​IMG]

A Chromebox is a mini desktop computer that fits in one hand! Mine is an Asus Chromebox2-G013U. It's powered by an Intel Core i3-5010U (5th gen) 2.10 GHz Processor, quite efficient for Chrome OS, 4 GB RAM (can be upgraded to 16, which is IMO, overkill) and supports 4K/UHD playback! Asus even makes boxes with an Intel Core i7 (4th gen) Processor. The little machine is completely quiet and dust-free since it has no cooling fan. Some might argue it only has a 16 GB internal hard drive. No worries though. I plugged in my little Seagate (USB 3.0) 2 TB external hard drive into one of the Chromebox's four USB 3.0 ports. There's also a SD card slot, HDMI port, and Bluetooth capability.

15. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

So if i go searching for one do i seach for chromebox ? i have 750 G of space on my Seagate i am not worried that

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1208167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice