1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fact or Fiction ?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by John Bull, Jan 28, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. Stoner

Stoner Banned

OK....lets explore the involvement of science directed toward the paranormal/supernatural.
    I asked previously how much money was budgeted to the study of ghosts.
    Since this thread is about too much effort being spent by scientists on studying the paranormal......does anyone have any credible statistics on just how great this scientific involvement actually is?

Most of what I see on TV is about entertainment......and pseudo science used as a prop to entertain.

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    There isn't a respectable scientist with the smallest amount of concern for one's own scientific reputation studying clap-trap. It still amazes me that newspapers publish daily columns on astrology but not a single one on astronomy. What the Hell use is truth and discovery and scientific advancement if it doesn't sell newspapers? Instead the media pimps would rather pander to to, and perpetuate, the ignorant superstition of the uneducated masses. Supply and demand, I guess, that good old capitalist credo. If 90% of the people want garbage, let's feed them that and to Hell with the 10% that want knowledge.

3. wowzer

wowzer

Not sure that speaks well of your wife :eek: but then you have show you are worlds apart.

4. buffoon

buffoon

Without investigating any further, I'd wager that the fact that one doesn't come across any useful statistics indicates that the percentage (probably permillage) is so small as to be negligible.

If one wants to consider the study of ghosts to be science at all.

Since the claim of there being thousands of misguided scientists trying to prove the existence of ghosts is in no way evidenced, I say that there are no scientists engaged in this activity at all. And I don't have to substantiate that either.:D

But my claim is the more plausible.;)

5. buffoon

buffoon

And that's just from a vantage point of modesty. I'd love to hear ya when you're full of yourself.:D

(forget that last part) :p;)

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I agree......most of the noise about ghosts seems to be entertainment sourced.

7. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Of course it is. Show me a pseudo-science that doesn't have some cottage industry spinoff business attached to it. I just saw a documentary about the Mayan 2012 baloney and how there is a booming business in bomb shelters. Some as much as $2 million. My question to all these get-rich-quick artists: If the 2012 disaster doesn't happen do I get my money back?

8. buffoon

buffoon

I already pointed out elsewhere that by the time the Mayans had established their last calendar, they were so broke they couldn't print the new one.;)

9. Stoner

Stoner Banned

My point is....this thread was puffed up in the first post and exaggerated to meaninglessness.
    The OP's complaint is really about entertainment not science.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice