1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Factory reset Dell Windows Vista Inspirion 531

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MinkNSable, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MinkNSable

MinkNSable Thread Starter

ok, I recently was handed a Dell Inspirion 531 Desk top that needs to be factory reset for my fathers Estate sale. How on earth can I do this without a disc? or partition to work with? I've tried all the lovely F keys to no avail. Anyone????

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell Inspiron 531 desktop?

It appears to be about a 10-year old model which originally came with Windows XP or Windows Vista 32-bit.

Pages 88 - 93 of its on-line owner's manual will show you how to do a factory restore/system recovery.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  3. MinkNSable

its Windows Vista and not sure what number you want other than the 531. There is a duel core processor number of 5600, But as for any other number, NO idea. The manual shows the factory reset options, however those do not work when tried, or searched for. are you talking Serial number?

4. MinkNSable

So when I hit Ctrl F11 nothing happens... when I hit F8 on reboot, it brings me into advanced options, but NO option to repair my computer shows up. just Safe mode, safe mode with networking , safe mode with command prompt, Enable boot logging, enable low resolution video, last known good configuration, directory services restore mode, debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, Disable driver signiature enforcement, And last but not least Start Windows Normally. NONE of which are any good to me.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The 7-character service tag number and serial number are the same.

If it came with Windows Vista, these are the on-line instructions for doing a factory restore:

Capture.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice