1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Factory Reset Help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Dragliza, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dragliza

Dragliza Thread Starter

I'm trying to reset my computer to factory settings. Advent 7113 Intel Celeron 1.73GHz. The supposed way to do this is to press f10 repeatedly on startup until a "preparing system restore" message appears. This does not happen for me however. A "edit boot options" option appears instead, and then a commant prompt. Am I pressing the wrong function key? How can I successfully restore to factory settings? Thanks in advance

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    This is from the support site for your laptop:

Your Advent computer uses the latest recovery system that doesn't require any CDs or DVDs to restore your PC to it's original factory condition.

There are two ways to start the recovery:

Restart your computer. Then Press F10 repeatedly until the message "Starting System Recovery" is displayed.

In Windows by clicking: Start / All Programs / System Recovery / System Recovery.

The recovery will load and display a box with one option:

Non-destructive recovery: this option will restore Windows, supplied applications, and drivers. This option will not destroy your documents or programs. These will be backed up along with the registry. These are restored at the end of the recovery process.

To access the recovery options below that erase all data from the computer, click the Advanced button.

System Recovery - No format: this will reinstall Windows, supplied applications and drivers. It will move your files to a folder called "My old disk structure". Any applications (except those supplied) will need to be reinstalled.

System Recovery - Quick format: this option will erase your hard drive including your personal files. Windows, supplied applications and drivers will be reinstalled.

Select the Non-destructive recovery option and press Next.

You will be informed about System Restore in Windows, click Yes.

The recovery will begin. Once this is complete click Restart.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. Dragliza

Dragliza Thread Starter

I have looked at this already :). When It is supposed to say "starting system recovery" it opens up the edit boot options instead.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!