1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

factory reset of nic card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikey751, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikey751

mikey751 Thread Starter

Does anyone know if unplugging the power from the computer does a factory reset of the nic card? I've heard that when troubleshooting an internet connectivity issue that this will 'properly' refresh the nic card. Would this apply only if the WOL is enabled?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Nope, never heard such a thing. There isn't much you can reset in the physical card itself and drivers don't loose settings when a computer is powered off.

What kind of problems are you having?

3. mikey751

mikey751 Thread Starter

well I'm not having a problem per se. Just that I work in tech support and there's sort of a debate as to if actually unplugging the computer for a coldboot as opposed to just doing a shutdown for a coldboot makes a difference with the network card as far as reseting it...

I personally have not heard of this before until recently myself

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think not.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, many NIC's on newer systems actually retain power from the +5V SB supply to allow Wake On LAN operation, so there is actually some truth to unplugging the computer for to truly "reset" the NIC. I've never had to do that, but it's possible I guess.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Good point, I hadn't thought of WOL.

7. mikey751

mikey751 Thread Starter

Just a note to add to this discussion (albeit old discussion). We're still having this debate at work.

The twist is the network cards being reset are actually onboard network cards

A number of tech support agents have said that when the customer has their connection showing "network cable unplugged" and then they disconnect the power to the computer that this issue gets resolved.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I think there is something in it. On several occasions I have had problems getting a network working and given up for the day in discust. Next morning everything worked OK.
    Don't some of the newer cards do some of the processing on board.
    Also powering down will reset the PCI slot.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice