1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

factory reset windows 10 reinstall now dont work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shadowblade4687, Sep 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shadowblade4687

Shadowblade4687 Thread Starter

Ok so i factory reset my wifes laptop which had windows 10 upgraded to it. After factory reset windows8 was then back as i expected. So after allowing all the updates for 8 to complete then restart my wifes computer was working great. So then i went to find and reinstall windows 10. All i could find was the paid upgrade. Contacted microsoft customer support and was told i couldnt find it because it was no longer free. But seeing as i had it on the computer during the free upgrade the tech had no problem sending me a link for the windows 10 update. So i followed his link. It updated and proceded to restart. Heres where the problem started. It now wont go past the dell logo screen the first screen on power up. I however can press f2 or f12 and get the menus for that. Microsoft told me i had to consult with dell. After talking with dell support they said the way that the microsoft update was done curropted a file and that i can either try a recovery disk which i dont have or pay them 130.00 to fix it. Sooooo my question is my wife has another identical laptop running windows 10. Can i hook the 2 laptops together via usb and boot off of my wifes computer to force start mine.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that Dell laptop?
    What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?

If Windows 10 was previously installed in that laptop, a "clean" install of Windows 10 could've been done instead of spending all that time and hassle doing a factory reset and then updating Windows 8 and then upgrading to Windows 10.
    Microsoft would've recognized that Windows 10 was previously installed in that laptop and would've automatically activated it.
    Downloading and saving and then running the Media Creation Tool allows you to download the Windows 10 ISO file so you can create a bootable DVD or USB thumb drive to install Windows 10.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  3. Shadowblade4687

Dell inspiron 3521
    Serv tag.. 4DQ3QX1
    i dont have a flashdrive big enough (16gb) and it wouldnt give me an option for a dvd which i had gone and bought to make a disk.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The Media Creation Tool is a very small file that allows you to download and save the Windows 10 ISO file - which is about 3.5 GB.
    You then burn that ISO file to a DVD and create a bootable Windows 10 disc.
    If you don't have the knowledge to do it, see if a knowledgeable family member or friend can help you.
    This isn't something that we can walk you through from here.

According to that service tag number, THIS is your Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop.
    It shipped in September 2013 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 8 Home 64-bit.
    That means Windows 10 Home 64-bit can be installed in it and should automatically activate.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. Shadowblade4687

Ok so basicly i just gotta find my usb and then i can use my wifes laptop to create it then use it to boot mine

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've only created a bootable DVD and not a bootable USB thumb drive, so I can't advise you how to do it.

If you're going to use your wife's laptop to do it, be real careful what you're doing so you don't wind up with 2 non-working laptops.

It's past midnight here, so I'm shutting down for night.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1178373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice