1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Factory Reset

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by xsipsi87, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xsipsi87

xsipsi87 Thread Starter

I attempted to perform a factory reset on my Compaq Presario CQ56. The system got stuck on 15% for 6 hours. I shut the system down and turned it back on. All that appeared was this message. "AN OPERATING SYSTEM WASN'T FOUND. TRY DISCONNECTING ANY DRIVES THAT DON'T COINTAIN AN OPERATING SYSTEM. PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART." OTHER THAN THAT I CAN ONLY ACCESS F1 SYSTEM INFORMATION. F2 SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS. F9 BOOT DEVICE OPTIONS. F10 BIOS SETUP. F11 SYSTEM RECOVERY. I INITIALLY HAD WINDOWS 7 OPERATING SYSTEM

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How did you start the factory reset ?

If you tap F11 just after switching on do you get a menu ?

Please use the methods here to find your model details and include the information in your next reply :-
    https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c00033108

3. xsipsi87

xsipsi87 Thread Starter

To initiate a factory reset, i went to settings and then made the choice to delete the files as opposed to wiping the drive. I was mistaken in stating that ij had windows 7 when it was actually windows 10.
    When I hit F11 upon startup, the same message that I entered in my original text appears.
    Serial Number is
    CNF113ODTG
    PRODUCT is
    XY871UA#ABA
    MODEL CQ56-219WM

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Compaq Presario CQ56-219WM Notebook PC (XY871UA#ABA)

That model laptop originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Yours appears to have been purchased in April or May 2011.

If it's currently running Windows 10 Home 64-bit, you or someone else upgraded it.

If you need a recovery media disc kit for it, I provided a webpage link in line 2 where you can purchase it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  6. larryh10000

larryh10000

Did you happen to create a Recovery Drive to a USB Flash drive before doing the reset?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    So F11 shows System Recovery ? Can you actually start a recovery from there ?

8. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I think it appears not
    xsipsi87
    As the laptop originally had 7 installed then a factory reset is going back to 7. On a laptop with 7 installed there was frequently a partition of the drive - the recovery partition with all that was on the laptop when originally commissioned by HP
    When the system was upgraded to 10 then depending on how this was done - that attempted recovery is going back to 7 - if it did work.

If it was not you who upgraded it to 10, then of course you do not known how the upgrade was done and it is possible indeed that the original recovery partition is no longer on the drive.

I am unsure of what you did to attempt what you refer to as a factory reset.

The way forward now in the first instance is to boot the laptop from a windows 10 installation media presuming that you have not of course made a windows 10 recovery drive from the laptop, before the problem arose, and then when you have that done, we can proceed from there
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

you need of course to make the media on another computer

9. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I sent it in my post 8

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice