1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Factory Restore Question/Help needed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dvarner, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dvarner

dvarner Thread Starter

I plan on doing a complete factory restore to completely erase everything and start new again but my windows updates and norton internet security is all up to date...is it possible to move them to a disk...if so how do I do it and so on?
    thanks, Dvarner

2. Lotus4669

Lotus4669

I wouldn't worry about saving those updates. I think you'll run into more problems trying that method rather than just updating them again.

3. dvarner

dvarner Thread Starter

yes but it takes hours for me to download them again

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't think there is any way to update Norton off-line. Last year, I asked their tech support that very question. I wanted to put their NSW package on some lab computers without Internet access, and they swore there was no way to update them without Internet access.

5. wacor

wacor Banned

you can download windows updates.. I would agree though about the norton. personally i am unimpressed with norton but that is another story.

i aksed a week or two ago though about downloading windows updates onto a jump drive and then installing them on another computer. I have a high speed hook up at home and dialup at work and when i had to reformat i found that even thought the reinstall XP had service pack 2 there still was a ton of updates to still install. i will finish this post and then try to cut and past the info i got.

6. wacor

wacor Banned

The following was a response to my inquiry about installing windows updates i mentioned in the last post>>>>>>>

Hi, I think you are on the right path, but you need to use the Windows Update site just a bit differently...use the Catalog, it has a Download Basket and you can pick what updates you need, and download but NOT install them as they normally would automatically...you can save them to the flash drive, you don't want them in any folder though....take the drive to work and install them to the needy pc.

A newer term for doing this, sometimes making a Windows Installation CD and including patches, updates, tools etc is slipstreaming.

Here is what I mean:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...e-Catalog.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166

http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_update_catalog.htm

I've burned updates for 98 and ME to CD using this method and it works, but= you have to be careful with subfolder nesting length, as the burning software will only go so deep (about 8 folders deep) without giving problems during the burn, though there is a workaround for it. That's why I told you not to make a new folder on the flash drive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice