1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[FAD] A call to all TSG members

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by korgul, Jul 9, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

Per request here is the stats page.
    Stats page
    Another Stats page

As some of you might know, I run a program on my computer that tries to find a cure for cancer. I tried earlier when I first got here to get people interested. I did get a few that started running the project. I thank them for that.

There is a new project called FAD or Find-A-Drug. This project looks for a cure for a wide variety of projects including cancer, anthrax, bioterrorism, MS and others. Well I started a team for TSG for any that would like to join with me in the fight against these killers.

The way the project works is you download a small program and install it on your PC. It will use the unused clock cycles of your processor. An example: You are not using your PC so the unused portion is 99%, you want to open Word, Excel and the internet, We will say that each take 25% of the processor. That leaves 25% for FAD to work with. If at any time you need more of the processor FAD will free it up.
    The program will download and run a work unit (WU), when it is finished it will send it in and then download the next one. If you do not have an always on connection you can connect to the internet and download a bunch of WU's and work on them. When you connect again you can send the completed ones in and download more. These downloads are not very big so downloading them takes no time at all. I have one machine that I have it installed on. I download about 10 or 20 WU, take it to work and let it work on them there. On fridays I take it home connect it back to my home network and send / recieve WU's.

If anyone is interested please post here and I will help with any questions that you might have.

Here is a link to the Stats page for TSG
    A link to the download

I asked Mike if this was OK and he gave the go ahead. I will be running this project for Team TSG. So come on out and join me in the quest to squash some know killers.

Thanks
    korgul

2. caitlingel

caitlingel

Is the original program you mentioned United Devices? If so, I'll go join the team as I already run the program on my home computer.:D

3. aineo

aineo

So what is the TSG team number? This just has to be entered under the general tab when setting up, right? Thanks!

4. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

caitlingel - No the one that I run now is FAD. I really fell into disliking UD as they would add things and set it in your profile to run. They would give no warning or details until after people started to complain. With FAD they keep you up to date with what is going on and do not pull the "suprises" that UD did.

With that said come join Team TSG. BTW you can run UD and FAD together at the same time.

aineo - The team number is 2080 but you will also need the e-mail address. I will send you a PM with that.

If anyone wants to join up with us post here letting me know and I will get the address out to you.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Wha the .... I'm game, as long as it dosen't cut into me gaming time. :D

6. aineo

aineo

Sorry for my stupidity here, but I want to make sure I am doing this right. I need to sign up with TSG as my name and the address you sent for the address? Thanks again!

7. RandyG

RandyG

Hiya Kos . . .

I've got a machine running 24-7 that I can use now, so send me the details.;):D

I stopped running the UD agent a while back when it started causing probs on my machine. I'll run this one as long as no conflicts occur.

8. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

Doing some more research on this I found I made a mistake.

When you set up the client you can enter in your own username and your own e-mail address.
    The most importatn part is that you use 2080 for the team number.

Sorry about that, this is the first team that I started. ;)

9. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

Taken from my old teams site.

To join the FaD team,

1: Download the Client

2: Install the client

3: Configure the client by Entering your selected Username (this will be what will appear on the stats)

4: Set up using your Email Address (You can install multiple clients on multiple PC's and all clients with this Email will be merged)

5: select Advanced, configure CPU speed, Select which projects you would like to run, and enter team 2080 in the team field.

6: select Register.

10. websurfer

websurfer

Count me in.

11. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

Cool welcome to all those that have joined up.

This is a great project to run since it covers so many differant diseases. As a bonus it is great fun to offer challenges to team mates to produce more. Like a race to 1,000,000 points. Lotsa fun

Thanks again

korgul

12. sdc

sdc Guest

RandyG "I've got a machine GUN running 24-7"

Har

WEBFISH

13. RandyG

RandyG

OK, Loaded on home computer. I'll get the work computer working on it tomorrow.

Question - how long to update the Team list to see who's a member? Only you show up right now. Or does it only show up after you complete your first unit?

14. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

Once you complete a unit and send it in you will then show up on the stats page.

To find out if you have completed a WU right click on the icon in the taskbar and select queue. This will show you what units have completed, ones that are in the queue waiting, and the one you are working on.
    Once you get a WU that is finished you can click the send button in the upper left hand corner. This will send in any completed WU's. It usually takes a few hours to update the list so give it some time once you send any in.

korgul

15. RandyG

RandyG

OK, Running on work computer now too;):D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/145626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice