1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[FAD] A call to all TSG members

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by korgul, Jul 9, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

McTimson - Yes this project is just like folding in the respect that it is a distributed computing project. I do not know much about [email protected] so I do not know what to say to try and convince you to come here. I can say this though. I was also a member of one of the highest ranking teams in just about any DC project. When I found my new home here I figured if I could start a team here and get other members involved to help the cause then hey I succeeded in helping someone. I tried to get others before interested in UD but there were only a few members here that helped. With UD taking a beating with how they are treating their members I decided to run FAD. If you look at the stats for the team that I was on you can see that we are consistantly ranked number 2 in weekly output. We were number 1 until thinktank started to recruit. Either way, I left that team to start a new one and get others involved in the quest to save lives.
    I don't know what else to say to try and convince you to come here. If you do great, if you do not, this is still great because you are trying to better the chances of someone surviving one of the many deadly diseases that are out there.
    I commend any and all that try and wipe out a scourge that has devistated the human population for ages.

Take care and hope to see you on the TSG team

korgul

2. SAK

SAK

Dear all TSG Find-A-Drug team members,

It's nice to see so many people being introduced to distributed computing :) It's also very nice to see someone like Korgul take the initiative and do the work involved in getting new members.

My name is Shaun, I've been doing distributed computing for about 3 years, and I've tried most of the projects currently out there at one time or another. I started out with one of the big hardware-review website teams and have been hooked on DC ever since. The stats, the competition, and most of all the people you meet and team unity that develops is definitely what keeps people doing it and makes distributed computing so unique.

I just noticed you guys on the FAD (Find-A-Drug) teams list and noticed you were one of the few other teams with all active members. A couple years back, I decided to try and start a new distributed computing team because of some problems between the hardware site we represented and the wonderful group of people that was our team. To make a long story short though, I've been crunching with some of my friends and acquaintances in real life and online for the past 2 and a half years, since I started a team.

Since then the idea behind the team has evolved very much, and we become a team unlike most of the rest. Instead of being associated or affiliated with an organization, we were founded *only* as a distributed computing team. Our goal is to promote distributed computing and help the technology improve itself and hopefully also help to find cures/treatments to diseases.

Right now, we only work on medical-research distributed computing projects. We all believe these projects are the most beneficial and valuable to humanity. Anyhow, let me get to the reason I'm here and taking the time to write this post ;)

Whenever I see a small new team pop up, it reminds me of when our team first started, and also what our team still is in many ways today. I believe right now, in our two active projects (FAD and D2OL) we still have less than 30 active members. At times, before our website was up and before we were a real team (we were just another team in the list of 100s), we managed to do quite well just because of the number of active members we had, and the speed of our machines -- almost all of us were gamers and/or hardware techie guys.

So, when I see a new small startup team, I often wonder what would happen if we could join forces. Let me tell you from experience, it is VERY difficult to compete with the big teams like the DPC (dutch power cows), TA (Team AnandTech), and TechIMO, [H]ardOCP, etc. Some of these teams have 100s of members and incredibly active message boards devoted to their team.

So, I would like to make an open proposal to all of you that have joined the TSG team. I can understand completely if you don't wish to give merging our two teams a try, but if you think that it sounds like it could benefit us both by working together, then by all means let's try to make it work ;)

Let me make one thing clear too, this is very important. I'm not out to steal members from TSG, I'm only proposing that our two teams could work together. In order for this to happen, ALL members of the new TSG team would have to agree on it. It's all or none, I don't believe it would be fair to join forces if some of the TSG guys don't wish to. So, with that said, I'll try to describe what the team I started has to offer and how it could possibly help TSG out.

We've got a nice website with pretty much unlimited storage space and bandwidth. The site is running php-nuke at the moment, with phpbb built into it (popular free forum software). We've got about 20-30 active members, and pretty much unlimited potential members. We have an IRC channel on irc.gamesnet.net. Gamesnet is a network I have been on for quite a few years, so I know many people and have gotten permission to advertise for our team in some of the biggest channels on the network.

Since myself and quite a few other members are big-time gamers, we plan on attending as many lan parties as possible and handing out flyers and stuff like that, as well as giving a short speech to everyone when possible about distributed computing and how it can help humanity. This is about all I can say we have going for us at the moment. More than just a website and irc channel though, we've got some pretty darn good members and leader-type people that put in a little extra time to help out in various ways. Most importantly, we have a goal and a mission statement that we will follow for as long as we are around. I'll paste something form the site, it's not exactly the official mission statement, but it will do ;)

"SAKnet.org is a non-profit organization devoted to the distributed computing community. We believe that DC is a very encouraging technology and everyone should consider participating. We feel that through the promotion of distributed computing, humanity is more likely to benefit from it. Also, the technology behind DC will improve faster as more people participate.

We truly believe that distributed computing has value and needs the help of the internet community. SAKnet is also founded as a fun and enjoyable community and team for all internet users all over the world. We enjoy the competition and experiences that can only come from distributed computing and a close team.
    "

Anyway guys, this post is getting quite long and I'm getting quite hungry, so I think this will do. Let me know what you all think; we are open to anything, so whatever concerns, ideas, comments, etc you have please just let em loose, you don't need to worry about hurt feelings ;)

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and moreso thanks for giving distributed computing a try -- you will enjoy it.

Sincerely yours,

Shaun A. K.

3. SAK

SAK

ohh, i should probably give you guys some links ;)

Team SAKnet.org Site

IRC: #saknet.org on Gamesnet (irc.gamesnet.net)

Also, if you would like to talk to me if you have any questions or whatever, just hit me up on AIM, ICQ, MSN, or IRC ;)

4. Toddles18

Toddles18

How about you guys join us instead??? :D Honestly though thank you for the sincere welcoming hand, I am sure this is something that all of us will consider.

5. Toddles18

Toddles18

BTW, I tried exporting a finished job from a pc at work, then importing it to my home pc, couldn't get it to work.....so it looks like I'll have 2 names. Oh well.

6. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

Again I would like to say thanks for the offer. Myself will decline, I came over here from TechIMO and plan on staying with this team that I created for the long haul. We should be raising in the stats pretty quick as were are picking up members here and there.

Thanks again
    korgul

7. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

not sure i follow you on this one. Did it upload? If it uploaded and and the info is there then it should be fine.

8. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

i am in, got ole reliable crunching molecules

9. Toddles18

Toddles18

Korgul, I exported a finished job from my pc at work, emailed it to my home address, and then attempted to import it into my home pc so that all my stats would be under one name. When I tried to import it I would get an error, so I guess I will just have 2 names on the stats page.

10. RandyG

RandyG

I have 2 names. You'll notice them at the bottom of the stats page!;):D

11. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

hey is it typical for the indicator to freeze for 20- 30 mins with out no change in indicator

12. websurfer

websurfer

THANK YOU to who ever stuck this up here:D

13. Paquadez

Paquadez

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but currently IBM are amongst some major companies running what is called "Grid Computing" for Oxford University (UK).

Try surfing "Grid Computing" on Google.

In the end the best method is going to be using ALL the spare processor power, in real time through broadband, i.e. DSL, then one creates a super computer with more power than a Cray (e.g.) for nothing and best of all, it parallel processes, rather than isolated sets of number crunching.
    Check it out TSGers.(y) (y)

14. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

toddles18 - if your pc at work is able to connect to the internet and send the work units all you have to do is make sure that both computers have the same e-mail address and team number. they will then add it to the same account.

buddhafabio - yes, I have seen some units hang for hours at one spot and then take off and finish in the next hour or two.

15. brindle

brindle

Okay I'm in

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/145626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice