1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[FAD] A call to all TSG members

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by korgul, Jul 9, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. aineo

aineo

In a huge way!! What did you do, get everyone you know to sign up with your username? You better not look back for a moment because I am after you (of course, I now have to pass korgul to get there) :mad: Once again, this is not over yet.....

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Just utilizing spare CPU cycles on some PC's at work, and don't worry, I'm sure korgul will pass me tonight.

3. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

I don't know toddles18 I am not crunching anything right now. I have been out of town all since last friday, I will be back home tomorrow and will start up the machines then. I still have a few computers at home that I can load it on, plus some people at work said they will join with me.

Just be sure to put the dust protector over you computers when I take off. ;)

4. RandyG

RandyG

Is there a problem for anyone accessing the Stats page?

I'm trying to change my accounts around to all be the one, but I am getting an error message whne accessing the Team Stats page, at the top saying
    and No Members found!??:confused:

5. Toddles18

Toddles18

It's with their site.....It was having problems earlier, I haven't checked back since then.

edit:

It looks like it's back now. Their site seems kinda buggy though, half the time it shows korgal with 19 jobs finished, the other half it only shows him with 11.

6. Toddles18

Toddles18

Just looked again, it shows you as just RandyG with 3 jobs completed. So it looks like it worked for you.

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I think I got the long jobs, the first few I've run took all day on two 2.6ghz machines. The one running on this machine started this morning and is only 2% completed... This machine is 2.8ghz, is there anyway to assign the app a higher cpu priority level or speed it up? Has anyone tried raising the processes cpu priority?

Does it run better with windows 2000 performance options set for application or background services?

This may mess up this PC, but I'm going to attempt to make a timer to raise the cpu priority to high at night and back to low when I wake up, I'll keep you informed how it goes.

8. Toddles18

Toddles18

I'd leave them set to low, and as for the speed, I had one that sat on 98% completed for a full 24 hours, granted this was only a 350mhz pc but still, it takes a long time, and by the way having the most jobs completed doesn't mean you'll have the highest score, as shown by my stats. The point system they use takes everything into account. because those jobs took so long, you'll get extra points for them.

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

The experiment worked! But the machine literally becomes so slow as to be unusable with the priority set on highest. With a hot key macro set to switch priority to high and back I'll be able to set it up to highest during the time I'm sleeping. :D I'm on another machine now since the one set to highest priority takes like 5 min to switch between apps. I'll set it back to normal shortly. Being a born overclocker, I just wanted to see what would happen.

It seems to boost the speed to about 2X or 3X as fast as normal!!

Whoops, maybe I shouldn't have said anything if I wanted to catch up with Toodles. :eek:

10. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I would highly recommend if a person doesn't want to use this continuously to take it out of they're startup. Then use a freeware app like process-switch http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=429
    to raise the process priority to high and set it with the windows scheduler to run when they're asleep. :D ;) :D

Don't set priority to real-time unless you really plan on just useing the machine just for this!!!! I tried and barely could even get the mouse to move!! Set it just to high.

Can be used to stress test a cpu as well (in high priority mode) temps jumped from 38C to 43C on the machine I've got it running in high priority on. :eek:

Strangely, the cpu rating on the job info page doesn't change?

11. Toddles18

Toddles18

I don't mean to burst your bubble GotRootDude, but I don't think you could obtain accurate results about the speed increase from increasing the priority in such a short period of time. My reasoning being, different jobs, and different parts of the jobs take different amounts of time to complete. I've watched my home PC shoot through 3-4% of the job in a matter of minutes, and then have it sit at a % for hours.....it just depends of the difficulty of the job. Thats my 2 cents anyways.

Case and point, I just looked at the completion progress from my PC at work, it was at 50% this morning when I got in, it's still at 50%.....this is on a 1.6ghz P4 and 8 hours later.

12. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

For my next trick: I'm going to try to piece together a 600mhz celeron from spare parts at the house (if I have time this weekend), install 98lite, and run think as the shell in realtime mode to see how it does! Should be interesting. This is like a game, see how fast you can get Think running on your old junk...

Soon (when I get a partition on my main machine freed), I'll be installing Suse 8.1 on it. Then I'll give some feedback on the linux client.

200gigs and outta space.....:rolleyes:

13. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

My approximation of the speed increase came from shutting think down at a job 90% done, then restarting with a higher priority and watching it climb to 91% in a much shorter time. Case in point. Also, the visual's go by faster. It works.

14. RandyG

RandyG

Cool, seems like I have successfully combined them then!

This home PC is frustrating me. I had a second job completed, but then gave me an "03" code, which means corrupted file. Had to delete it and start from scratch. Nice to see a job that took almost 80 hours, and had 39 hits on it's own go down the tubes!!

Also, don't play with commands in the queue window. You can accidentally stall the stupid job, and have to restart it, also happened on my comp.

I haven't the patience to try gotroot's tweaks, cause if I lose another job on this lousy machine, I'm just gonna uninstall the app from my home computer!!

Anyhoo . . . running the app on my other work computer on weekends and nights starting tonight, so that's 3 systems I running it on!;):D

15. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

any body have an xbox??? it would be nice to see someone install linux. than run this app for a few days to see its progression

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/145626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice