1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[FAD] A call to all TSG members

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by korgul, Jul 9, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. aineo

aineo

I have one of my machines dual booted with redhat 8.0. I will install it on that box and see what kind of results I get over the weekend and then post the results.

2. aineo

aineo

A tentative update: I have been running the program on my Linux box for about 2 hours and it is still showing 0% done. Granted, the machine has a 450 Mghz processor in it, but that still seems dreadfully slow. I'll let it run till morning and let you know more then. BTW, according to the forums on FAD's website there are several bugs with the Linux version and there is no GUI, it is all command line. Not necessarily unusual for Linux, but it is a little more of a pain to check the status.

3. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

no offence intended i was wondering what the xbox would be like, running this app.not jus the linux i heard that when you use the processor and it gets really worked the grapics cpui kicks in and helps out, and those chips are powerful. i may go and buy what i need for this experiment, ..... gotroot any deals on x boxes right now?????? :D

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Thought I would make some headway this weekend, but a storm knocked the power offline at my office over friday,sat, and sunday.

5. Toddles18

Toddles18

I see Mike is storming ahead.....Alright Mike, was that downtime really to defrag and update security or was it to install FAD on all your servers??? :)

6. RandyG

RandyG

What's up with BUDDHAFABIO's stats?

27 jobs but only 3+ dyas working em??

I've got 3 jobs at double that time, and his points are atrocious.

7. Toddles18

Toddles18

My guess, he picked a certain disease to work on, the one he picked doesn't take very long for the jobs to complete and so, the points he receives are relative. I believe the pure amount of CPU time you put into jobs is the most important thing. I think thats why I'm in the lead, I had 2 350mhz machines doing jobs, it took them 4-6 days to complete just one job, but since it took so long, it also earned a lot of points. The designers of the FAD basically put every PC on an even playing field. At least thats my 2 cents.

8. Toddles18

Toddles18

I just looked at the stats again and I'll have to say I'm correct, most of buddhafabio's jobs have been with query 1c1y-q1. Some of those jobs have only taken him a little over 30 minutes to complete, but he also only got a few points for doing them. TechGuy also did one from query 1c1y-q1. It also only took him under a half hour, but he only got 55 points for doing it. One of the jobs that I did on one of those 350's took 004:07:11:17, but I also got 8109 points for doing it. I think it's one of those projects where he (or she) with the most toys, wins.

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Up from #8 to #5 and climbing quickly. tripled cpu power yesterday. :D

10. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

do you need to complete your first job before being listed in the stats page? I've had the program running for about an hour now and I'm only at 3%, but I don't show up in the stats page.

11. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

Yes you will need to finish the first job and then send it in before being added to the stats page.

12. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

I'm on a LAN(I'm always online), do I have to take steps to send it in or will it do so automatically?

13. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

Better yet can I set it to download and send in the projects automatically so I never have to touch it?

14. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

It should be already set to download and start automatically. It's better if you don't touch it, I had two jobs I've had to reset due to me messing around and next thing I know it says "job incompatability" whatever that means. One of the was at 99%.

Next week I plan on getting a few more working and adding another 4 or 5 PC's to the mix. Depending of course on how much demand is placed on me by others.

15. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

What I do for one of my machines is download a bunch of work units ( 20 ) or more. Let it run through them for a week then send them all in at one time at the end of the week.

If you want to send in that first one to make sure you show up on the stats page, I think that would be fine just make sure that it is complete before sending.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/145626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice