Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fail to find boot log

970 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Katzy 
#1 ·
I currectly trying to fix a presitant problem on my computer. Often when i boot up my computer, it stops completely just before checking which drive to find the boot record. I reset with ctrl-alt-del and then it repeats and just freezes at the same place. If i shut it down for a 5 mins and then turn it back on it will boot correctly by searching the floppy,cdrom, then harddrive for boot record.

I just formatted my computer and this problem is even more occuring. Does my computer need a bios reset or update?

#8 ·
pupit2c said:
it will boot correctly by searching the floppy,cdrom, then harddrive for boot record.
I'm still new here, and only "intermediate" user, so just a thought....Isn't the usual boot sequence floppy 1st, then hard drive 2nd, and CD ROM 3rd?

Just wondering...... :cool:

#9 ·
I use the floppy,cdrom,harddrive because just incase something messes up with the floppy you can also boot from cdrom.

i tryed to clear cmos and it didn't change the error, i reset everything and tryed agian and still no solve.

Could windows registry cause something like this, and wouldn't a harddrive format solve a problem like this?

It seems to me the problem is that it isn't intiating boot search sequence.

#10 ·
pupit2c said:
It seems to me the problem is that it isn't intiating boot search sequence.
Please don't quote me on this, as I am an "intermediate" user, and not "advanced." However, when I had that problem before and had to do a reformat, others suggested that when I reformat, I use C: /mbr -- that way it would erase and recreate the master boot record. It seems like I did that and it worked. However, as I said before, please wait for input from more advanced users, as I can't guarantee that is what you need to do. Maybe one of them will have more thoughts along this line.

#11 ·
The command you're thinking of is "fixmbr", I would imagine. Just open a command prompt by going to "Run" and typing "cmd". That'll open a pseudo-DOS window.

Come to that, you could go to "Run" and type "fixmbr".

Personally, I have my boot sequence as "C only", coz I never boot from floppy and it speeds booting up, coz it doesn't search for the floppy. Easy enough to change it, should I ever need to boot from floppy, innit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.