1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fail to find boot log

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pupit2c, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pupit2c

pupit2c Thread Starter

I currectly trying to fix a presitant problem on my computer. Often when i boot up my computer, it stops completely just before checking which drive to find the boot record. I reset with ctrl-alt-del and then it repeats and just freezes at the same place. If i shut it down for a 5 mins and then turn it back on it will boot correctly by searching the floppy,cdrom, then harddrive for boot record.

I just formatted my computer and this problem is even more occuring. Does my computer need a bios reset or update?

2. Katzy

Katzy

Er...

What version of Windoze are you running?

It could be a BIOS setting. Have you changed the battery, lately?

3. pupit2c

pupit2c Thread Starter

Actually i haven't changed a battery.

What part of the bios set up would cause such a problem? Is it just a cumulation of errors, or did spy/virus software do it?

4. pupit2c

pupit2c Thread Starter

Actually i haven't changed a battery.

What part of the bios set up would cause such a problem? Is it just a cumulation of errors, or did spy/virus software do it?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you experience any other problems?

6. Katzy

Katzy

7. pupit2c

pupit2c Thread Starter

To answer your question katzy i am using windows xp, and thanks for the links.

I may try to clear cmos, sounds like a good idea.

8. log_splitter

log_splitter

I'm still new here, and only "intermediate" user, so just a thought....Isn't the usual boot sequence floppy 1st, then hard drive 2nd, and CD ROM 3rd?

Just wondering...... :cool:

9. pupit2c

pupit2c Thread Starter

I use the floppy,cdrom,harddrive because just incase something messes up with the floppy you can also boot from cdrom.

i tryed to clear cmos and it didn't change the error, i reset everything and tryed agian and still no solve.

Could windows registry cause something like this, and wouldn't a harddrive format solve a problem like this?

It seems to me the problem is that it isn't intiating boot search sequence.

10. log_splitter

log_splitter

Please don't quote me on this, as I am an "intermediate" user, and not "advanced." However, when I had that problem before and had to do a reformat, others suggested that when I reformat, I use C: /mbr -- that way it would erase and recreate the master boot record. It seems like I did that and it worked. However, as I said before, please wait for input from more advanced users, as I can't guarantee that is what you need to do. Maybe one of them will have more thoughts along this line.

11. Katzy

Katzy

The command you're thinking of is "fixmbr", I would imagine. Just open a command prompt by going to "Run" and typing "cmd". That'll open a pseudo-DOS window.

Come to that, you could go to "Run" and type "fixmbr".

Personally, I have my boot sequence as "C only", coz I never boot from floppy and it speeds booting up, coz it doesn't search for the floppy. Easy enough to change it, should I ever need to boot from floppy, innit?

12. log_splitter

log_splitter

I know this isn't my thread, but wanted to thank you, Katzy, for that post. I'm still learning, and info like that helps a lot!! :)

13. Katzy

Katzy

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/282337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice