1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failed CPU Test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lance1, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lance1

Lance1 Thread Starter

Hi all!

I’m working on a friends computer which is getting System Failed CPU Test

Spec’s

Asus A8V Mobo
    Radeon 9800 Vid card
    512 DDR Memery
    Smart Power 350 watt power supply

So fare I have swapped out the video card, reseated the CPU, memory, HDD and CDRW IDE ribbons. I reset the BIOS through the jumper and also by removing the battery. So fare nothing! After work today I’m going to remove the mobo and breadboard it and see if I can get it to post. I cannot access the BIOS, as it doesn’t post. The power button doesn’t shut the system down you have to do that from the power supply. The second you turn the power on from the back the system starts up but doesn’t post.

Any suggestions and ideas? Thanks to all that post here! I’ll check back after work today.

2. Lance1

Lance1 Thread Starter

Sorry it took me so long to get back, cold season you know! Well I have the board out and bread boarded, still no post. I replaced the BIOS battery and swapped out the RAM, still nothing. I think I eliminated everything but the CPU itself and the PSU which I have nether to test that. I think that an RMA is quite likely the only option would you not agree, other then spending big money in the shop. Any input folks?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you are certain the hsf is on tight and is correct, then I would say the cpu is bad.

4. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

yeh...what test are u using that says failed cpu test...? also what happens while using the computer? does it just die?

generally if the cpu is bad ur computer will lock up randomly, or jus not even turn on...if i was u id try a different cpu in place

5. Lance1

Lance1 Thread Starter

As I said in my original post, the system dose not post. It has an audible error saying System Failed CPU Test which is the system test on boot up. When you plug the tower in and switch the power on from the back, (as the power button dose not appear to work) the system fires up and Nothing, Just the audible error saying System Failed CPU Test.

Rich-M, I’m leaning toward that, unfortunately. What about the PSU? If it’s gone bad, and is handing out incorrect voltage, dose that not halt post?

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Test your power supply first. You have a higher percentage of probability that the power supply is bad, rather than the processor. If the +5v or 3.3v rail has failed you would get the symptoms you describe.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes I would definitely try changing the psu first as it is the more likely cause of the issue.

8. Lance1

Lance1 Thread Starter

Thanks Rich-M, I talked to my friend and that is what I suggested to do first.
    Thanks win2kpro for your input as well. Lets cross fingers!

9. Hughv

Hughv

My ASUS A8V Deluxe gave me this error several times, and I traced it to a failing CPU fan.

10. Lance1

Lance1 Thread Starter

The HSF is good, so is the PSU and exit fan.

11. jrak

jrak

Were you able to identify the source of the problem and fix it? I'm having a similar problem with an Asus motherboard.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/661368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice