Failed DC in trusted domain enviroment

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

whoopsie

So I was lucky enough to inherit a server enviroment a few months ago, Server 2003. It is a trusted enviroment with other domains, one of which hosts all security groups, logon servers, main AD . One of our two dc's failed. (not coming back) Of course it was the main one which hosted the trusts, and 4 of the 5 schema roles. I was able to seize the schema roles, verified WINS ad DNS on my working dc, and two days later the trust was re-established. Basically I am running a legacy domain, all the users and security groups have been migrated to the new domain (Domain B), and these servers sit on the legacy domain (Domain A). After the outage, a lot (20%) of the security permissions applied in Domain A, but reside in Domain B have reverted back to pre-migrated (Domain A) security groups.

I apologize for my wording, I don't know the best way to explain my problem.

peterh40

Peter
How many domains do you have?
How many DC servers do you have per domain?
When you say legacy domain - do you mean Windows NT 4 or just 'old' domain? Can you explain.
To re-create a DC in a domain, rebuild the Windows server with the OS and DNS installed, re-join it to the domain and run DCPROMO to replicate the domain data back to it from a 2nd DC.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online