1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failed dead hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jarednsarah, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jarednsarah

jarednsarah Thread Starter

I wanted to post my experience so that other members of the greater community can gain from my mishap and the overcoming of it.

I plugged a wrong power supply into my external hard drive which fried the circuit board on the back of the drive. The Hard drive would not power up or show on my computer. This posed a problem to me in several ways the major of which was that it was full with 400 gig of important information like all my childrens photo's of the last 5 years...needless to say I panicked.

I scoured the internet to see what I could do - praise to Google!! I learned that it could be failed internally, the board on the back of the drive has failed or something else. (The drive failed to work in another external case so I knew it was the drive and not the case). I learned that I was up for anywhere from $1500AUD - $2500AUD to have the data professionally recovered. As I rang each company they would state how they were the best and put doubts in my head as to other companies. This was confusing for me and something that I would have to do as a last resort (the data was more important than the money).

I went to a computer store and bought the same HDD - seagate 400GB. Upon returning home I swapped the Boards on the back. My failed drive jumped into action and powered up, I heard the heads of the drive release and then it started to read, then powered down. I later learned that the drive has a firmware and the board must match the drive. When the drive read the firmware it conflicted and shut the drive down. This indicated to me that the drive was ok, it was the board on the back of the drive that was the problem. I came to the conclusion that if fixed the original board then the drive would perhaps work.

My research took a different path now. I was looking for a company who fixed circuit boards. I rang a few companies who stated that they did not do that kind of work. I then rang and spoke to Bruce Rowe from TESTRONICS a small company in Melbourne. Although Bruce could not promise anything, he did say that he would have a look at the drive and see what the problem was. I sent Bruce both the drives and the external case giving him permission to use the other board as parts for the drive.

Bruce worked his magic and determined that there were dead components on the failed drive and using the new drive he was able to fix the old drive. I now have all my precious data back and backed up (of course). Bruce also kept me informed of where he was up to at each stage of the process.

I post this message out of sheer gratitude for Bruce and his company TESTRONICS. He pushed his boundaries, broadened his skill base and helped me in my time of need without taking advantage of me financially like all the other data recovery companies.

Please I am not trying to have a go at other data recovery options - if my drive was damaged internally then it would have been my only approach to get my data back. They too have a vital role to play in data recovery. I just don't understand how they justify $2500 for recovery.

Thanks for reading and hope that this information helps any other person stuck in my position.

Testronics website is below.
    http://www.testronics.com.au/contact_us.htm

2. BratDawg

BratDawg

First Name:
    Carla
    Glad you got your data!

One tool that might prove handy to keep on hand and that has rescued me in the past is a usb hard drive cable. I have IDE ones; I am sure by now they probably have ones that will also read SATA drives. It lets you connect to the pins on the back and then to a usb port on a computer. They don't cost alot and I have been successful getting data off drives that were otherwise unbootable.

Of course, regular backup would save us all. But....who's got time for THAT? :O

3. jarednsarah

jarednsarah Thread Starter

Thanks BratDawg I am glad too. I haven't heard of the USB - IDE HDD cable you mention. Sounds like an awesome idea. Does it power the drive at all? I am wondering if it would work with a failed circuit board....hmmm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice