1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Failed Driver Update Error 800F0242

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Liber8ed1, Sep 13, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Liber8ed1

Liber8ed1 Thread Starter

Hi guys, it's been a long time since I've been here and don't remember all the tools, but wondered if you could help me out with my laptop.

On the 11th it tried to install about a dozen updates and one of them made it choke.
    Advanced Micro Devices, Inc driver update for AMD SMBus is marked as failed 9 times in the log.
    I went through the trouble shooter which fixed four of the five issues.
    Tried restarting, but it still shows as failed and the laptop was running very slow/locking up for the next 30 minutes.

I am currently running the trouble shooter a second time to see if it can find and fix the remaining problem.

Does anybody have any magnificently timely ideas that will just blow this thing out of the water?
    I would appreciate any input.
    Thanks!
    Kimberly

2. Liber8ed1

Liber8ed1 Thread Starter

Trouble shooter has finished running again and still returns this result:
    Windows Update error 0x8024402C(2018-09-13-T-12_59_38A) Not fixed

The laptop seems to be running at normal speed now, and I'm wondering if that update is really necessary.
    Microsoft marks it as Important.

The next step from support.microsoft has me renaming software distribution backup folders.
    Any thoughts?

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    If the laptop is running well now I would go into Windows Update and hide that update, you don't really need it.

4. Liber8ed1

Liber8ed1 Thread Starter

I will do so! Thanks for your expertise! :)

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice