1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failed external hard drive?? Help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pixie164, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pixie164

pixie164 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a WD external portable hard drive which i have been using to store all my life on; work folders, family photos...everything. It was working fine on Thursday. It has not been dropped/damaged/nothing has changed to it's use. You guessed it, on Friday it stopped working...

When i plug it in (USB) it makes the 'bleep' noise so i know it's been detected by the computer. It shows up in 'Device Manager' as working properly. The power light is on....all looks good....but it does not appear in 'My Computer', nor can i access any files at all. When i normally plug it in a window pops up asking me if i want to play/view files...this now does not happen.

What can i do? I have tried using different USB ports, i have tried different computers. When i opened the casing it goes directly to USB, so you cant just change the connector....

Can you advise me of costs and timescale. I do hope someone might be able to help me somehow, or recommend someone who can?? Like i said...this has my LIFE on it!

Fingers crossed x

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Can you get the HDD out of the enclosure without breaking anything ??
    Does the HDD sound like it's spinning ??

3. pixie164

pixie164 Thread Starter

yes, to me it sounds like it's spinning, there's certainly no 'clicking'!. When it is connected to the computer it starts spinning, then stops after approx 30 seconds or so...

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Before you tear it apart ... Try turning you computer off ... and the external ..
    Remove the wall power to your computer for several minutes ..
    Then turn the computer back on ... With your Fingers crossed x

And Welcome to the TSG Forum

5. pixie164

pixie164 Thread Starter

i've tried all the basic troubleshooting options....

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

What's the Make n Model number of the external ??
    If you have a Laptop .. Also remove the battery for several minutes.
    A master power reset is a really long shot .. But it's worth a try

7. pixie164

pixie164 Thread Starter

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If you've tried all the trouble shooting tricks .. the next step is to get the HDD out of the external ..
    and replace the enclosure .. or connect the HDD internally in your computer or with another USB adapter.

Since this a USB powered external .. there are USB Y adapters that will double the USB power to the external.

The HDD is usually more reliable than the enclosure .. we can hope

9. pixie164

pixie164 Thread Starter

it's usb powered

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I saw that .. I edited my earlier post

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I have one of These ....
    After I got the HDD out of the enclosure .. I'd hook it up with this adapter ..
    The first thing to test is see if the HDD is spinning when powered from the wall power

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1013458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice