1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failed format, blank screen after post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ej, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ej

ej Thread Starter

any hope for this? My pavilion notebook had unrecoverable disk errors so I decided to format and reinstall xp home, 6 hrs later it was stuck at 19%, I shut it down and now it goes to dark gray after the post screen, no cursor, nothing, cd spins up fine but I can't get display, external monitor no good either. Only thing I can get to is the bios :(

2. brite750

brite750

well not a lappy guy but it sounds like the hdd is dead

3. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    How do you format using?

4. brite750

brite750

BTW dont say no display and then say I can get to the bios, what does that mean?, if you can get the bios then you must be able to see the bios on the screen correct?

5. jazz3000

jazz3000

Sounds like a Hard Drive to me as well. Computers don't go far unless the HD is good. Jazz

6. ej

ej Thread Starter

sorry, i mean the screen goes blank right after the post screen where you have the option to f10, f12, can't get to safe mode either it goes dark gray, almost black, I can make i dim by turning down the brightness too, but no cursor or anything.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't navigate in the BIOS at all?

Remove any external devices you have connected. Make sure air flow is not obstructed, vents are lint-free (vacuum them), and that the laptop in on a hard surface that allows air flow beneath. see if it feels hot on the bottom.

After cooling, try to get into BIOS again or boot from XP CD.

8. ej

ej Thread Starter

i was doing a reinstall of xp, using the original cd, doing a full format

9. ej

ej Thread Starter

yes, it was VERY hot after running 6 hrs trying to format. I have no trouble getting into the bios and changing the boot order, but thats about all i can do. Screen stays dark after post. I will let is sit overnight and try again in the am, thanks

10. brite750

brite750

like i said if the hdd is gone you will not be able to format, and safe mode involves a working hdd also so that wont work either. Format only works with functioning hardware

11. ej

ej Thread Starter

yes, I just tried it again this am, made cdrom 1st boot, got the HP screen then gray, its toast, blah, thanks for your input though!

12. jazz3000

jazz3000

Sorry ej... Let us know if a new drive makes things a go better...Jazz

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice