1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

failed Hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ndunels, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ndunels

ndunels Thread Starter

My hard disk in ThinkPad R52 laptop has failed and brought the blue screen error. I bout another IDE hard disk that now I suspect was old, since Windows XP installation cannot recognize the hard disk presence.. What can I do to be able to install the OS and other application software.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You are going to have to replace the hadrdrive again before you can do anything. Without a working harddrive the computer is pretty much useless at this point.I would suggest going to a computer repair place and see if they have any brand new ide harddrives and go from there.It sounds like the harddrive you purchased was used and not new.The ibm/lenovo thinkpad R series laptops are at least 5 to 6 yrs old so its not surprising that the original drive failed.

3. ndunels

ndunels Thread Starter

Thanks Sueohio, but I would like to point out that the OS installation started on the hard disk I bought then when it was almost 3/4 way I got the message the hard disk cant be accessed. I wonder how this would be possible bearing in mind that the installation was already underway. Kindly assist

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you completely remove everything that was on the disk at the beginning of the installation? You should remove all partitions so that the drive is completely unallocated and then continue with setup from there.

Of course, it's possible that the disk failed. Setup is a very intensive process both for the CPU and the hard drive.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Ive had brand new harddrives die on me you just never know when they will fail.But when they do be prepared and always make sure anything you value is on a cd/or dvd so its not lost forever.

6. ndunels

ndunels Thread Starter

I got a suggestion that the problem could be because the hard disk I bought is a non-ThinkPad hard disk. My laptop BIOS does not have an option of changing the hard disk controller or even changing from SATA mode and vice versa. Any one out there who could have encountered and conquered such an issue?

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If you have the correct type of harddrive in there such as an IDE i dont think the brand of harddrive matters.It should give you the choices in the BIOS to set it to what it needs to be on to run windows xp properly.To run xp it needs to be on ATA,SATA,IDE, or compatability.I do know that on some of the R and T model thinkpads there was a glitch that for some reason they wouldnt accept a harddrive larger than 100 gb.To fix that the bios had to be flashed and updated and a vb script downloaded that would fix it.I had one of the R models which wouldnt install windows xp with sp3 in it.I had a T model thinkpad that if a harddrive bigger than 100gb was used it wouldnt show in the bios and had to be flashed and a script installed so that you could use a larger harddrive.If all else fails you can take it somewhere and see what the problem is and go from there and then you will know how to proceed.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    See here for more info: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_non-ThinkPad_hard_disks

If the installation was in progress then quit with an error that the drive cannot be accessed then it could just be that the drive is faulty. I generally don't recommend buying used hard drives as you might be getting a faulty drive. In this case, if you need a supported drive then you may have to buy a compatible used drive that has been tested and guaranteed working.

9. ndunels

ndunels Thread Starter

Thanks Tripl6. I am looking for a supported drive but the glich is, I may not know how to differentiate a compatible or not compatible one. Could you kindly assist in identification?

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Ive had 2 ibm laptops in the R series and they were riddled with constant problems. There are much better ibm/lenovo thinkpad/ideapad series out there that are trouble free and will give you yrs of problem free service.Of all of the ibm/lenovo laptops ive had the R series gave me the most headaches.The other ones ive had for the most part have been much better.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

The link I provided to Wiki lists known compatible models have you tied to find one of those drives?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice