Failed installation Olympus Mu300 camera

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shirazette

Hi there,

I hope somebody out there can guide me on this as I just don't know what to do. I've down loaded the software (Camedia) which came with the camera without any problems, but it says you only need to download the driver with Windows 98 (I have Windows 2000), and it gave no option to install it.

On connecting the camera to the computer, according to the instructions, the 'Add New Hardware Wizard' should appear and do everything without any further action on my part. However, it said something like the driver wasn't found (I can't get the message again as it only shows the Wizard box the first time you connect). I have tried what it says to do in the manual - which is mainly to check the device manager to see that the camera is listed (which it isn't). I have two devices listed with yellow exclamation marks by them - 'USB Device' and 'PCI Simple communications controller'.

When I try to use the Hardware Wizard to find the drivers (with the Camedia CD inserted) it says something like 'a better driver found for this device do you want to use it?' (I say yes) then I get the message "An error occurred during the installation of the device. The installation failed because function driver was not specified for this device instance"

I have been to the Olympus website but can't get much joy from there, or find the specific driver for the camera, which surely much be on the CD anyway or in Windows 2000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm tearing my hair out! Thanks.

Try 2 things
Delete the camera from scanners & cameras and any software you may have installed. Then try just plugging the camera in and let 2000 driver database find the drivers.
2: Install the software, reboot then plug the camera in.
(y)
Wolfey

Shirazette

There is no camera mentioned under 'Scanners and Cameras' (there isn't even the scanner mentioned).

I uninstalled the Camedia software and reinstalled it again, rebooted and plugged in the camera but I'm afraid all is the same. In the Installation Wizard it seems to find a 'driver that is a closer match for this device than your current driver' but when I click 'next' to go ahead and install it I get the same message as before about failing due to the function driver not being specified. Do you have any more ideas please?

Shirazette

Wolfeymole said:
I don't know the exact model of your cam but here is the olympus dowload page.
See if yours is amongst them.
Wolfey
My camera isn't here but this is the American site and I'm in England where the models aren't the same.

While I was reinstalling the software I came across a help email address for Europe so maybe I'd better give that a try.

Thanks very much for your help.

Shirazette

Wolfeymole said:
Try olympus uk as one final shot.
Wolfey
I downloaded the Acrobat file and tried the Autoconnect as described but nothing whatsoever happens when I plug in my camera - i.e. I don't get any removable disk icon. I have now emailed them to see what they come up with.

Oh dear - I had high hopes with that one. Thanks again so much for your efforts - much appreciated.

Shirazette said:
I have two devices listed with yellow exclamation marks by them - 'USB Device' and 'PCI Simple communications controller'.
Have you tried uninstalling the 'USB Device' and then rebooting.

Shirazette

xgerryx said:
Have you tried uninstalling the 'USB Device' and then rebooting.
I have just tried this. When I plugged the camera in I got a box saying unknown device followed by the same message again '......failed because function driver was not specified...'

How do I specify the function driver I wonder? 'function driver' doesn't exist in the windows Help topics.

Thank you for your help - everything is worth a try and I haven't heard back from Olympus yet.

Does it mention anywhere where it's looking for the driver, what path so to speak?
Wolfey

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online