Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Installations: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions..."

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  stately 
#1 ·
So, my computer was once owned by a corporation, and there are various policies in place that lead to error messages and a lack of access (even though I am an administrator).

1) I can't access the Firewall or Windows Update features
2) Sometimes when I'm trying to install software, I get a message that says "This operation was cancelled due to restrictions in place on your computer. Please contact a network administrator" or something like that.

I have access to regedit (after a bit of work) and have been able to win back some of my privileges. However, I can't seem to find the right restrictions to apply to the above issues.

Oh, also: editing policies in gpedit does not do anything! None of the policies take effect.

Does anyone know how to remedy this?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Which operating system are you using?

I can tell you that it will be a long road getting all of the restrictions out of the registry and you will be more than likely much happier if you just reload the system.

Thanks!

Shane

#4 ·
Thanks, Shane:

It's a Windows XP Professional system. I'm hoping to a complete overhaul of the system because it has some excellent software I don't own on it.

I remember that someone once created a program for Windows 98 that went through the registy and cleared out all the restriction. I'm guessing something like that doesn't exist for XP though...

#5 ·
This may help with some of them:

XP Security Console

Alos, you can force the policy to update:

gpupdate.exe

Check the security settings:

secpol.msc

Search for GTools. You can get a command prompt with the suite that has System privileges that are much higher than admin privileges.

http://p-nand-q.com/gtools.html

Powrrun in PowrClik Suite does the same thing.

There are others you could search for because I can't remember them at the moment. In any case, Powrrun seems to be the only one that allows the command prompt and programs like regedit to run with System privileges in Vista.

#7 ·
Thanks, everyone!

All my random fooling around in the registry seems to have paid off! I can now install any software I want (and I managed to get "My Computer" back onto my desktop--I had somehow caused this to disappear).

Somehow, though, even though I found the Firewall settings in the registry somewhere, I don't seem to have access to that or to Windows Update. I'm going to full around some more and make sure I'm thorough enough to make changes at the Local and User level.

If you have any more tips, I'd appreciate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.