1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failed login/partition recovery (containing Windows' "Special Folders")

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NF2K, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NF2K

NF2K Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Long story short broke bootloader and mbr, but got it sorted eventually after a couple of hours reading and playing with various tools. Machine boots back into XP fine with no user interaction. However when logging in logs me straight back out. I suspect this is because my D: partition (separate hdd) seems to have lost its allocation while I've been playing with the problem (probably should have physically disconnected it first. Lesson learnt) This drive however, as well as storing about 1TB of data (of which I haven't even had time to fully back up before problem occured! I know, it's ultimately my fault) was the location for some of XP's special folders, specifically My Documents; My Music; My Pictures (I think they were the only Special Folders I relocated.) Could their disappearance be causing this issue or will I have other problems somewhere? It's the only thing I can think of right now.

Partition Wizard Home Edition's Partition Recovery Wizard tool is able to find this lost partition but gives a warning when attempting to recover (see image). I don't know if it plans to copy the data which could of course potentially overwrite itself (since I don't have another drive big enough to copy to, which I don't want to waste time doing anyway) or if it just overwrites/rebuilds the partitioning section at the start of the drive. Is this operation going to be relatively safe?
    [​IMG]

Or is there a generally safer option/tool for this? I know there's always at least some risk involved.

(Probably not massively worth nothing but I use the traditional style logon Username/Password pair prompt and have fast user switching disabled.)

Thanks for any input :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice