1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failed Microsoft .NET Framework update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flministock2, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flministock2

flministock2 Thread Starter

My Windows XP automatic update feature on my laptop keeps trying to install "Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 (KB963707)" but each time it fails. Anyone know why and/or how to fix this problem?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

3. flministock2

flministock2 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. However, I do not have any "assistant" in Firefox to update first. In the "Add/Remove Programs" window of XP, it has the following:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

I tried uninstalling the version 3.5 SP1 but it will not let me. Do I have to uninstall the lower versions first (2.0 SP2, then 3.0 SP2, then 3.5 SP1)?

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Sorry for the Delay, somehow overlooked this.
    I haven't been offered that update on any system that did not have the Firefox plugin installed, so that's kind of odd.

Does any give any kind of an error when you try to uninstall 3.5 SP1? My first thought is there is a later update for that particular version that would have to be uninstalled first. Make sure you have the Show Updates box checked. I show 2 hotfixes and one update, but one of the hotfixes says it can't be uninstalled (KB953595)

Though it looks like the only purpose of the update is to allow users to uninstall the .NET Assistant in Firefox, you you could probably just uncheck the update and tell it not to show it again.
    Info on the update is here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963707

You might run through the Method 2 steps to manually uninstall the assistant. It might not show in Firefox, but may have a stray file or two left behind.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice