Failed PSU?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JPLamb

I have got a computer that turned off and now will not power back on. when i press the power button the light on the front comes on and the internal fan spins a tiny amount and then nothing. all connections are good.

am i right in saying its the PSU?

crjdriver

Perhaps. Quickest way to check is to swap in a known good pw supply. You do not have to fully install the test unit; simply connect the atx, aux, and video pw [if used] and hit the ON button. See if the mb will post. If it does then shutdown and install a new quality pw supply. If it does not, then you will need to do further troubleshooting.

dai

what are you running
video card brand and model
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

could also be a short

dai

[How is he meant to get to the BIOS if his PSU doesn't work?]

it's a generic reply

would expect common sense to prevail

If it's the Packard Bell listed in your computer specs then the power supply is likely. You can try and remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes, replace and see if it powers up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online