1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

failed Qnap NAS - how to read the data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alannaimnet, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alannaimnet

alannaimnet Thread Starter

My Qnap TS201 has failed. the drives are OK according to Qnap who remoted into the system to see what the trouble was - two discs in Raid 0.

All the data was backed up onto another NAS with one exception.

As Qnap insist that the drives will be OK, how can I read the drive on a Windows PC please? I have a USB Sata dock. I tried the Diskinternals Linux Reader and it shows the expected folders but each one reports as empty???

Fingers crossed.

many thanks

Alan

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Since they were in RAID-0 that means they they must be read together in a compatible RAID-0 system; your best bet is to put them into another working QNAP TS201 and hope for the best. This is the problem with RAID-0 configuration, both drives must be functional and must be setup in RAID-0 to access any of the data since the data is stripped across both drives. RAID-1 would have been a better choice as then you can use either of the two drives to access the data easily from any other PC or dock.

By the way, whats wrong with the NAS? Its odd that its failed but they were able to remote in and check the drives.

3. alannaimnet

alannaimnet Thread Starter

The tech from Qnap simply said that as the drives were OK then the data would recover in a Linux reader. oh well.

Reason for raid 0 was that the NAS was actually used as a backup initially and therefore the capacity was important.

Following this problem I moved to Netgear ReadyNas and use the data stores in Raid1 with backup (of the infrequently changing data) manually put onto ReadyNAS in raid0.

Issue with the Qnap was that following a power failure it would alternately only see ONE of the drives and not the other, and after a reboot the other way round.

I did not dare to mess with it and contacted Qnap tech who dialled in and spent a while meddling to conclude that the hardware (not the drives) was faulty.

I still have the hardware AND the drives. Tried full factory reset of the qnap with no change to the situation.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you want the data back your best bet is another QNAS TS201 with RAID-0 setup and then swap your existing drives into it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice