Failed SATA disk

theyoungbarman

Hello,

I've recently picked up a second-hand Dell Inspiron 2350 PC. When using Intel Rapid Storage Technology it shows that the 1TB SATA disk has failed. Photos attached. I’m presuming that if it’s failed then it’s not recoverable and all the data on the drive is lost (which isn’t a problem). I've pressed the "mark as normal" option, but the next time I start the PC, the drive is marked as failed again. I have a few things I wanted to check:

1. Is this drive recoverable or is it now a brick?

2. If the 1TB drive has failed, is there a risk that the 30GB drive will also fail in the short term, i.e. is the computer on the way out, or should I be OK to keep using it?

3.I ’ve tried to reset the computer, but the process failed. I’m assuming that it’s because of the failed drive. Is there any way to clear the old data off the computer? This isn’t crucial, so if it’s a really complicated process, I probably won’t bother.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Attachments

Oddba11

Jim
Test the drive using the drive manufacturers disk tools. You would have to open the case and look at the label to get the brand.

One drive failure doesn't mean other drives will fail.

Whether or not any data can be retrieved will depend upon if the drive is actually faulty and if it is, what type of failure.

Gr3iz

Mark
It appears to be a Seagate drive (the Model # starts with ST...). Download SeaTools and test the drive.

theyoungbarman

Thank you Oddba11 and GR3iz. I'll run the manufacturers diagnostics and see what happens.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online