1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Failed to Upgrade my Dell Inspiron to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jimmykup, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmykup

jimmykup Thread Starter

Last week I purchased a new desktop from Dell.com. The desktop comes with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit pre-installed and also came with a free copy of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Windows 10 came with the desktop in the form of a DVD that I have picutred here: http://i.imgur.com/Z3N84IS.jpg

Does anyone have experience using the Windows 10 Pro 64-bit upgrade disc that comes with this desktop?

Here is the product page for the desktop: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/i...-1225267-824c6ebe280311e69835e23186a66fe00INT

I popped the included disc in, rebooted the computer, and then hit F12 to boot from the disc. The disc ran and I attempted to select the option to install Windows 10 and keep my files that are on the drive. It attempted to install but then stopped because there was a "partition missing". So instead, I then tried another option which was to wipe the entire drive clean and install Windows 10. That didn't work either because drive is locked.

Here is a link to an Imgur album I created: http://imgur.com/a/JprJf - This album includes photos I took of the Windows 10 install process so you can see what I am dealing with.

I considered upgrading to Windows 10 via the icon in the system tray. But I haven't done so thus far. I wasn't sure it was the best method. Will the Windows 10 upgrade I get from that be Windows 10 Pro? I'd feel more comfortable installing from the disc since they did give it to me afterall. And having a WORKING copy of Windows 10 on a disc is good peace of mind for the future.

There is an astonishingly low amount of search results related to my problem on the internet. The official Dell community support forums have very low traffic so I've yet to get a response from there. I was hoping someone here had some experience or advice to offer me.

Some more background on my end goal: This specific desktop came with a 2TB HDD. My end goal here is to swap in a 250GB SSD I bought separately as the drive that will run the OS and use the included 2TB HDD for media storage. I was advised by a close friend to first upgrade my Windows 7 Pro on the 2TB HDD to Windows 10 Pro, activate it, wipe it, and then move forward with doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my SSD. Here was his reasoning:

"if you will use 10, you may need to upgrade the existing 7 install that is on the HDD, then once upgraded be sure to verify windows 10 is activated than you can wipe everything and install 10 from scratch on the SSD, it should self activate as you have previously activated the upgraded version on the computer. i think it is called digital entitlement and you dont need to provide product key during the install part of win 10, on my computers it automatically happened after the installation was done."

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Welcome to Tech Support Guy
    2. Re this
    you cannot can you because, on an earlier paragraph you say
    So have you formatted the drive or not?
    3. Please have a look at your images - the boot mode is legacy
    so when it is legacy that is mbr - master boot record
    the boot option is uefi dvd drive

Change boot mode setting to UEFI, then boot from the windows 10 dvd on the uefi entry
    The other entry is the dvd drive on legacy boot mode

Re the procedure suggested it is not necessary, as Windows 10 has been installed on the computer and registered against the computer hardware on the Microsoft servers and then downgraded to 7, so when windows 10 is installed the licence key will not be required and that is why, I think you will find that you do not have such a key provided by dell

Before you proceed please confirm IF you have already formatted the drive or NOT

3. jimmykup

jimmykup Thread Starter

Hello, thank you for the reply!

I have not formatted the drive. Yesterday was the first day I turned on this new PC. The first thing I did was install all of the Windows 7 updates via Windows Update. The second thing I tried to do was upgrade with the included Windows 10 disc via booting from F12. I have taken no other steps and made no other changes to my computer.

I did notice that the disc envelope said "Please ensure that the BIOS setting is set to UEFI mode prior to installing Windows 10." Unfortunately, they offered me no help in figuring out how to do that and a Google search didn't help me. On the F12 boot menu I noticed that the DVD drive said "UEFI" so I assume this was a confirmation that the BIOS was indeed set to UEFI.

What do I do?

Katwhit711 likes this.
  4. Macboatmaster

Well the first thing to do, if you want to ensure you keep what you have now, with windows 7 is to create a system image
    The second job is as I said look at the image you sent where it says boot mode is legacy and as indicated use the arrow keys to change boot mode
    then exit out of that saving and exiting usually F10.
    Put the windows disc in the drive
    shut down
    reboot and on boot options menu select the uefi entry for the dvd

5. Macboatmaster

6. jimmykup

jimmykup Thread Starter

I don't actually care about what's on the PC right now and would rather just wipe everything and do a clean install. That said, I did in fact download a Windows 7 system image from the Dell website already and backed it up.

Thanks for that. Don't know why I didn't spot that before. Anyway, I set the boot mode to UEFI with secure mode off. I saved and shut down. When I booted it back up I booted from the DVD. Unfortunately the same thing happened as before. I get the exact same error messages in the Windows 10 install screen as pictured before. :(

7. Macboatmaster

It cannot reset, as that is to reset windows 10 which is NOT installed - 7 is installed in MBR mode as seen from your screenshot of computer, and that is why the message a required partition is missing appears
    as on the last link I sent you on post 5.
    When you commence the options on the dvd do you not have the option for clean install

If you are sure you do not want anything we can go about this a far easier way
    To try and help you understand
    This occurs because all Dell Windows 10 recovery media (Win10 recovery DVD [Clean install only from DVD] or WIN10 recovery USB key) requires the system BIOS to be configured in the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) mode.

There is no plan to implement changes to the Dell Windows 10 recovery media as by design, Windows 10 is intended for the UEFI mode configuration.

8. jimmykup

jimmykup Thread Starter

There is nothing labeled "Clean Install". This image is the only thing close to that: http://imgur.com/KZLrlZk

As I understand it, I can't use this disc to install Windows 10 because I'm not on Windows 10. I suppose the fact that the disc says "Already installed on your system" is a clue that this disc is only meant for people who have Windows 10 already. Right?

Correct. I don't need anything that's on this computer right now, everything important to me is already backed up. My primary goal here is to get Windows 7 Pro upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Preferably as a clean install.

My secondary goal is to have Windows 10 Pro installed on a SSD that I have. My new PC came with just a 2TB HDD with the Windows 7 Pro OS on it. I would prefer to have Windows 10 Pro installed on my separate SSD that I can/will swap in to my desktop, and use the included 2TB HDD as a media storage drive.

So what is the easier way you mentioned?

9. Macboatmaster

Got it I think
    Set UEFI as boot option as described earlier
    then
    1. Insert the recovery media into a USB port or a DVD drive, depending on the format you used to create the recovery media.
    2. Power the computer off.
    3. Power the computer on and, at the Dell logo screen, tap the F12 key several times until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen.
    4. At the boot menu, select the device under UEFI BOOT that matches your media type (USB or DVD).
    5. Select your keyboard language.
    6. At the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot.
    7. Select Recover from a drive.
    8. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset process. This will take some time and your computer will restart.
    OR if for some reason that does not work go here
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    make your windows 10 installation media on a dvd
    Then from there you may clean install - you will not need the product key as windows 10 is already registered on this computer
    The advantage of a clean install is that you will get rid of all the Dell bloatware
    If however you wish to keep this post and I will guide you through the options

NOTE make sure the clean install is UEFI mode on unallocated partition for the whole of the drive - otherwise you will install windows 10 in MBR mode which is a waste of time.

If you have followed up to now what I have tried to explain the present 7 is in MBR mode and you want 10 installed in UEFI to a GPT partitioned disk.
    Windows 10 clean install will make the disc partitions automatically

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  10. jimmykup

jimmykup Thread Starter

Thanks!

Just to clarify 100%, these directions are for me to do what? You didn't specify what version of Windows this would give me, nor what drive I'd be doing this on.

Based on my previous post, I'm going to assume your directions are for me to get Windows 7 Pro on my SSD. At which point I should use the Windows 10 icon in the system tray to upgrade to Windows 10. (And just to reiterate, my HDD is what came with my desktop and it has Windows 7 Pro. My SSD is a separate drive I purchased and is empty)

11. Macboatmaster

Leave the SSD job for the time being lets get 10 installed on the drive
    You cannot have both as the licence is for 10 with downgrade rights to 7
    If you upgrade to 10 on that present windows 7 it will upgrade to an mbr installation
    Go the way I have suggested on the mechanical HDD and then we will sort out 10 on the SSD
    The version is as shown on the disc Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

12. jimmykup

jimmykup Thread Starter

The recovery media I downloaded from Dell is Windows 7. I feel like you're under the impression that's it's Windows 10. Does that change things?

It sounds like you want me to go back and use the Windows 10 disc again so that's what I did. I followed your advice using the Windows 10 disc that came with the desktop. I got about 90% through the process and then it errored out and stopped doing anything. See this image: https://imgur.com/25poaBi

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  13. Macboatmaster

Yes I know that it is windows 10
    Either do as I listed on the link I sent - the Microsoft link
    Make the installation media
    Enter setup UEFI boot
    if it is already that miss that step
    put in the Microsoft install disc
    enter one time boot and boot from that disc
    format the whole drive to one unallocated partition
    install 10 the installation will sort out the partitioning of the drive
    That will install 10 as a clean install without ANYTHING that came with the computer - there will NOT be any dell software

OR using the same link upgrade it with the Microsoft install media the instructions are on the link

OR use the dell disc
    set UEFI mode
    and then follow as per my post 9 USING the DELL disc which will put the computer back to 10 with the Dell software that came with the computer

14. jimmykup

jimmykup Thread Starter

Please see my last post again. I edited it to include new information. I used the Windows 10 disc and followed your instructions completely. The computer now fails to boot.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

15. Macboatmaster

Please explain as to what stage this 90% was

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1172194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice