1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failed update AVG

Discussion in 'General Security' started by abstracts, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

I've noticed in the last few days AVG automatic updates have failed to run. I've tried and all I get are the words "Failed Update. General Error" popping up. Could someone possibly enlighten as to what the cause might be and how I can correct it. Thank you.

2. Aashu

Aashu

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Get rid of AVG and then replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0.1526.0.

It's not bloated and problematic like AVG, it's smaller and lighter on resources, it's more user-friendly, and it's well-recommended here. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

I've tried both of them and the reason I've opted for AVG is because of their tick symbol alongside a website link which, they say, gives you prior warning as to what is a dodgy site.

5. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

The best way to avoid "dodgy sites" is to use common sense and practice safe computing habits.

Hopefully, you're not using the built-in file and registry cleaning feature of AVG.

--------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059796