1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failed Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Robert the Bruce, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce Banned Thread Starter

I recently visited Microsoft Windows Updates and was horrified to discover that a total of 394 Windows Updates had failed to install. I clicked on 'Find Solutions' and followed the instructions, which were, click 'Start', click 'Run', type 'services.msc.' then make sure Background Intelligent Transfer Service is on Automatic (not manual) and is 'started'. I did this and tried to re-install the failed updates. This worked, but only for the 5 most recent updates (otherwise there would have been 399 failed updates). How do I go about installing ALL of the failed updates ?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What service pack level do you have?

Rather than installing them all separately, you may want to wait a short time and install Service Pack 3 which will include all the new and previous updates.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Robert:

I just recently did a hard drive format and fresh install of Windows XP SP2 and found over 100 critical and recommended updates pendng. If your computer has almost 400 updates pending, it's my guess that it still has Windows XP(original version) or Windows XP SP1. Answer Elvandil's question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Robert the Bruce

Windows XP Home Edition - Service Pack 2

5. Robert the Bruce

HOW do I install them all seperately if I wanted to ?

6. zabusant

zabusant

Hi!

If you want to install them seperately, Start>Run..., copy/paste %SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe and press ENTER. An Internet Explorer window will pop up, it will detect your updates and then offer you a choice - select custom and then just select one update (only from the "high priority" ones).:)

You will also be able to review any failed updates (under options "review update history") - and thus find out which one is bugging you.:) You can uninstall an update through add/remove programs.

7. Robert the Bruce

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

9. Robert the Bruce

Yes that worked but only 6 of the 394 failures were available to install. I just can't seem to get my 'Background Intelligent Service Transfer' to remain at 'started'. How do I solve this ?

10. Robert the Bruce

How do I install ALL of the 394 previously failed updates ?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is it set to "automatic"? It may only run when being used. But if you think there is a problem, look in the Event Viewer to see why it stops.

12. Robert the Bruce

Windows Updates are set to Automatic. But my computer is sometimes switched off at the alotted time for the updates to install. Background Intelligent Transfer Service (see previous posts). Sorry, but where do I find 'event viewer' ?

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I just did a new install of Windows XP (not even SP1) and there weren't that many updates listed in Windows Update. I can't imagine that almost 400 updates were issued since SP2.

What exactly happens when you run Windows Update?
    Are you running it from Internet Explorer?
    Do you have any security software installed that might be interfering (firewalls, anti-virus, malware, etc.)?

14. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    DoubleHelix:

I did a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 on a HP laptop about 2 weeks ago. When I ran a scan at the Windows Updates site afterwards, there were over 90 critical updates to be installed. Considering that SP2 has been out for over 4 years, there's been a lot of critical updates released since then.

Frank

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. Robert the Bruce

When I run Windows Update (from my Desktop Shortcut) sometimes there are Updates to Install sometimes there are not. Provided my 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service' is set at 'started' the updates will install, if it's not 'started' updates will fail to install. I'm assuming that because the B.I.T.S. wasn't 'started' since the last time I visited Windows Update, that was the reason so many updates had failed. Because Background Intelligent Transfer Service wasn't set to 'started' and therefore no updates were able to install automatically.
    I have McAfee Security System installed but I'm sure that this has nothing to do with that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!