1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Failed Windows 10 Installation on a Mac

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by hudstore44, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hudstore44

hudstore44 Thread Starter

We were given a used Mac for a Christmas present. I have no idea what kind it is (I'm a PC guy). It is an all-in-one system and there is nothing to mark what the model number is. I do know that it has El Capitan.

My son wanted to install Windows 10 on this computer so he could have some of his graphics program run. He was so "preoccupied whether or not he could, he didn't stop to think if he should."

Well, it failed because of a missing driver and now the computer is in a continual loop of trying to install Windows 10. I've tried to find the drivers and also use a different boot disk, but nothing works. After clicking on "Repair Computer," I can access the troubleshoot mode that gives various options of system restore, etc. I am hesitant to do anything past this.

What should I do? I've turned off the computer, but when it is turned on I'm prompted to continue to install. And thus the cycle continues.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hud

2. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

First, shut off the computer. Next, press and hold the Command+R keys and turn the computer back on. Keep pressing the Command+R keys until you see the Apple Logo. This should boot you into Recovery mode. At the top left, click on Disk Utility and run it on the MAC drive. Let it do its thing. When it's finished, reboot the MAC.

As for installing Windows, did you go through Boot Camp or simply try to erase the disk and install Windows?

3. hudstore44

My son is the one who is attempted the above actions. I get to fix them. He said that he read on the internet somewhere? how to do this installation through a command prompt. He claims that this command prompt site claim that using this as the path would set up the IOS to allow the Windows ISO to load and install.

That being said, I tried what you suggested above. We don't have a Mac keyboard (we were given what the previous owners used which is a PC iHome wireless and mouse set. Assuming that the Control key is the same as the Command you mentioned, I followed your instructions. After 5-10 minutes of holding Control +R, I never saw the Apple logo. The Windows window logo popped up and asked me to finish Installing Windows. I tried this 3 times.

Am I out of luck on this one?

4. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Unfortunately the control key is not the same as the command key. It sounds like your son pretty much deleted the MAC partition on the hard drive.

Apple doesn't partition their hard drive the same way Windows does. What Apple does, assuming you use Boot Camp or another piece of software, is portion the disk and make a potential virtual disk which then adds the windows software. It creates a boot disk which will allow you to choose which system to boot into.

MAC set up a hidden partition which it uses for recovery. If you can't boot into it, chances are you erased the MAC partition.

Did you get any system disks with the MAC?

5. hudstore44

I didn't get anything from them, but I've contacted to see if they still have anything. While I wait, is there a way to create a bootable installer on a USB flash drive and run it from there?
    Thanks,

6. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Start here..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

It will depend on what version of OS your MAC can run.

7. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
  8. hudstore44

The Mac keyboard has been ordered and should be here shortly.
    Thanks

9. hudstore44

When I hold command plus the R key, is that keep pressing it multiple times or press and hold?

10. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Press and Hold both the Command Key and the R key simultaneously. Keep holding the 2 keys until you see theApple logo. Then release the keys.

The next screen should ask for the language. After you enter the language, at the next screen, look at the top left and click on Disk Utilities.

11. hudstore44

OK, success! I have the keyboard and tried what you said. I now have the Mac computer back and password changed so this cannot happen again. The boy still wants to partition the computer to accept a Windows 10 install, so if you know of reliable links for this that would be great.
    Otherwise, Thank you for your very timely and much needed help.
    Hud

12. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

MAC OS comes with a program called Boot Camp. It will allow you to partition the disk and add a working copy of Windows. I suggest you Google Boot Camp and you'll find the links to help you install and run Boot Camp.

Another recommendation is use the commercial software called Parallels. I've used it on my MAC and it works works fine.

Boot Camp is free.. Parellels is not

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice