1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failed XP repair installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thelaw1, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thelaw1

thelaw1 Thread Starter

Hi there. Need a little help.

Everything was running fine with my desktop PC till I turned it on this morning.

It booted fine, Windows XP started and I entered my password.

My desktop background appeared as standard but i had no taskbar,
    no start button and i was geting no response from either my right or left mouse
    buttons from clicking on the screen. I tried to get into task manager by using
    CTRL+ALT+DEL hoping I could get my explorer processes running again, but
    nothing happened other than a brief appearance of an egg timer.

I powered down and started again hoping it was just a glitch. I was too
    optimistic. So I tried again, again and again achieving the same results.
    I had no luck getting into task manager or accessing any functions at all.

I assumed that if explorer wasnt providing me with rudimentary functionality
    and if task manager was refusing to work either my only option was to attempt a
    repair installation of XP using my Windows setup disk to fix the problems.

After 3 hours trying to find the disk I then proceeded to begin to repair my
    operating system. Everything was going fine until I encountered the famous 34
    minute device hold up. I waited patiently then went online on my laptop and
    discovered this was quite common and nothing to worry about, so I restarted the
    machine, without prehipheral devices, and let the repair install continue.

Same problem. I repeated this several times as the advice said it might take a few
    attempts. I gave up on this approach. I restarted and pressed SHIFT+F10 to see
    if the log would show me which device was causing the stall, but all i was rewarded
    with was a black screen with a large cursor. Oh No. This cant be too good I thought.
    I restarted again.

Now all I get is "disk read error press ctrl + alt + del to restart" on startup everytime
    I turn on my computer unless I prompt it to boot from a CD in which case it enters
    windows setup. I tried a repair install again, but this time it asked me to partition
    the C: drive as there is already an instance of windows installed and that a new
    installation would conflict. Its not allowing me to repair it although its obviously there.
    I didnt create another partition as i had no idea what would happen and i didnt want
    to overwrite and lose all my data. Is there any way I can access the failed repair
    installation of windows on my HDD and ressurect it through the recovery console or
    otherwise. I am totally clueless.

Please help, I want to see if i can save and repair this instance of windows without
    having to do a clean install and formatting my HDD.

Cheers.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It sounds like a failing drive. Have you tried running chkdsk /r from the "recovery console"?

You might want to try creating a boot disk, either from your installation disk or using a Puppy Linux disk to access the drive. Otherwise it would have to be removed and booted as a slave to recover data.

http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

http://www.puppylinux.com/

Also the "34" minute error (as I recall) has to do with device driver installation -- so I would remove any unnecessary drives, printers, devices or hardware during the setup process.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!