1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failing hardware! How to disable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pelvis_Chestly, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pelvis_Chestly

Pelvis_Chestly Thread Starter

I have a Gateway FX6800 (http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/FX/FX6800/FX6800mv.shtml) which I have been running for about year and a half. I bought it before windows 7, so it is still running on Vista Premium (64 bit). Apart from this small problem it has been a great computer for me.

However, recently the "Media Control Center" (http://cdnsupport.gateway.com/s/Cases/Joplin/JoplinFX_MediaControlCenter.jpg) Panel (housed in the top drive bay) has been occasionally failing. The entire panel will go blank and a moment later will reconnect. Upon reconnecting the 'new hardware found' sound will play accompanied by a small blip of lag.

At first the problem only occurred very rarely but has recently been occurring daily, and repeatedly. It has become a major source of frustration while trying to watch videos or play games.

I assumed that due to the nature of the issue it is most probably a broken or breaking internal connection. The source itself however, is irrelevant since I never used the damn panel anyway. I just want the lag to stop.

I have tried to find the driver responsible for running this panel but have failed miserably in my attempt. I have also scoured the web and searched for help on the Gateway tech support forums but still my panel problem persists.

Here (http://imgur.com/a/yBRE3) is a set of pictures that shows all of my drivers in my device manager (incl. hidden drivers). Note I did not expand 'Storage Volumes' or 'Storage volume shadow copies' as they contain a long list of identically named drivers.

Any help finding and disabling the 'Media Control Center' driver would be greatly appreciated!

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Have you tried disabling it in device manager?

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I can't find it in your pics either...

4. Pelvis_Chestly

Yeah that's basically the problem, the driver is nowhere to be found! Argh!

5. Pelvis_Chestly

I also forgot to mention that I have tried disabling every single one of the 'Human Interface Devices' some of them required a reboot but none of them seem to change the Media Control Panel.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Even if you disable it in Device Manager it could still cause problems as the hard ware will still be connecting and disconnecting, have you considered opening up the case and physically disconnecting it?

7. Pelvis_Chestly

I guess if it's the only option that's what I will have to do.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice