1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failing services/ Explorer/Programs on start up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by renda85, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. renda85

renda85 Thread Starter

Hey everyone...

My New Viao thats just 2 weeks old got the best of. It currently have Vista business.

It all started when I was downloading a movie that required Quicktime. I installed quick time and restarted the labtop. After logging into desktop. i received "explorer has stopped working". i was not able to log on to my desktop from then on. when i would open the task manager i would recieve errors. i wasnt able to restart explorer.

i restarted the computer is safe mode with cmd. did a sfc scan.
    it told me that it was 99% complete but it was not able to fix all the corrupted files. i then did a chkdsk scan, and re-did the sfc scan. same out come. i have the CBS log to see which files it couldn't fix.

Now every time i log onto desktop, everything starts failing,
    "windows live mseeneger stopped working, "host process for windows services stopped working" , 'windows media player stopped working" my Internet explored disappeared and i get a "Iexploror is not a valid win32 application". It cant install the drivers when i insert a USB key. i even get the blue screen of death at times.

I did a system restore and it didnt help. i tried to repair windows through my vista cd, and it didnt detect anything ot repair. I'm really stumped on this. I do know that everything works in safe mode.

i have the file i got from System file checker, i didnt want to post it, theres alot of text!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Once you get this machine cleared up, check out the "VAIO Update to see what Sony Update(s) are out there?
    It may pay for you to do this before you do any more trouble shooting. You will find several updates for MOST Vista VAIO machines.

The VAIO Update can be gotten to by clicking the Icon in th sys tray , in the start menu

3. renda85

renda85 Thread Starter

ive tried to install the newsest updates, all the downloads dont end up installing because i get "this update is not intented for use with your computer models"

but it should be, i went to the download page for my specific model "vgn sz650n" ...wierd.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Yes, you will find a couple of those, you are not alone.

Have you uninstalled Quick Time and see if the problem goes away?

5. renda85

renda85 Thread Starter

thanks for the quick replys

i tried to uninstall it, but i wasnt able to. there was a msg saying that it couldnt find the uninstall file. so i did a system restore to the point before quick was installed. my computer in safe mode works.
    but in normal mode, forget it. everything stops working, windows update, host processes, and my IE is gone, im now using firefox. SFC should fix this, but everytime i run it its only 99% and not all files could be fixed.

weird that this computer is still pretty much a virgin. there is nothing installed on it, other than a codec pack (which i installed the first day i got it and was working fine) and quick time, with ultimitly killed everything.

should i post the CBS file from the SFC scan?

its driving me nuts

6. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

Why not just a reformat, if theres nothing on it to begin with? If there are documents you need, start up in safe mode and back your files up then reformat.

7. renda85

renda85 Thread Starter

vista came with with my vaio, i cant re format.....

8. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

I dont understand, you want XP or something? Or do you want to keep vista, if so, put in your vista disk, restart the computer -> boot from cd drive -> re-install\reformat Windows Vista.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice