1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failing to boot from HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JTHEWOLF, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JTHEWOLF

JTHEWOLF Thread Starter

So im usually a pretty good trouble shooter. However. I found my laptop hdd had several bad sectors. Lacking the cash to just buy new i did a full format to get them flagged as unusable. After that took 17hours i installed windows 7 ultimate x64. When it needed to do the necessary restart it failed on the bios screen (the mobo logo intel for example). I tried gettin in the bios to change boot order and cant. However take the hdd out and i can boot from cd or access bios options etc. hdd back n boom fails still. However the processor is still working hard.

Im stumped

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im going to take a wild guess that the harddrive has had it and needs replaced.its not going to work at all until it is.it shouldnt take 17 hours to install an operating system.it probably has a lot of bad sectors and cant be fixed.

3. JTHEWOLF

JTHEWOLF Thread Starter

Thats my guess. The 17 hours wasnt the installation. That was the full format. But yeah when i did a smart scan last week there was quite a few bad sectors. I tried another drive i had laying around with win8 developers preview the laptop then booted that hdd. I wiped and installed windows 7 on there too but then hit the same issue first necessary restart and it just wont boot passed the mobo screen

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If you have tried 2 harddrives and are getting the same problem maybe theres more wrong than just a bad harddrive.you might want to have it checked out somewhere to see what the problem really is.it just might be that the motherboard has problems.

5. JTHEWOLF

JTHEWOLF Thread Starter

problem solved. plugged both HDDs into my new gaming rig when i got home. the asus rog mobo was nice enough to bring up an message before not booting saying basically ''this drive is dead, stop using and replace''.

seems that before the full format when the bad sectors are randomly spread on the drive, it is 'tricked' into booting, however when they are all consolidated and flagged, it then knows not to even try. just wish my laptop gave me a similar message so i dont worry about it been a mobo issue.

cheers for the quick reply though :), off i go to shop for a replacement :p

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice