1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failing to Transfer Large Files over Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AlphaOmegaStrife, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlphaOmegaStrife

AlphaOmegaStrife Thread Starter

I'm having a problem when transferring large files between my network, and not sure what the cause is.

I'm trying to transfer files from my wired desktop to my wireless laptop, and smaller files seem to transfer okay. Whenever I try to transfer a really large file, however, the internet and connectivity totally drops on my desktop (which is giving the file) and causes the laptop to lose the file. The desktop computer stays offline for about 1-2 minutes afterward before it either starts up again on its own or I reset the network adapter. I suppose it's important to note as well that the file transfer can fail at the very beginning, in the middle, or even at the very end, but my desktop computer always loses its connection whenever the interruption happens... but sometimes it can successfully get almost all the way through the file transfer.

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/768807-cannot-copy-___-specfied-network.html
    I tried following some of the steps in this case to confirm that I can ping and do all that jazz to my laptop and all of the services are running, since our problems seem similar. I've disabled all firewalls as well. However, since one computer is actually wired to the router, I don't think the solution will be quite the same.

Anyway, looking for some help, and glad to provide any additional information that I can. Let me know what I can do.

2. AlphaOmegaStrife

Any possible solutions? I'd rather not have to just buy a flash drive in order to transfer files...

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When the desktop loses network connection the laptop still has connectivity?

Make sure you have the latest correct driver for the desktop's ethernet--from the computer or motherboard manufacturer's site for an integrated adapter; from the card manufacturer's site for a PCI or USB adapter. If you already have the latest driver reinstall it anyhow in case the installed instance is corrupted.

4. AlphaOmegaStrife

Speaking from recollection, I believe the laptop does have internet connection while the desktop is crashing. I'll edit this post in just a few minutes if I try again and it does not, but I'm pretty sure that's how it is.

I'll try installing the latest drivers when I come back tonight and see if that works as well.

5. AlphaOmegaStrife

Yeah, my laptop still has connection to the internet when the file transfer fails and I lose connection (so I'm assuming it's not the router that's shutting down, only my computer).

Just tried uninstalling all software and reinstalling with the most current version of my network card driver, failed about 75% of the way through the transfer, and lost internet for about 2 minutes.

6. AmerNetworks

AmerNetworks

7. dsf74

dsf74

try something that can do auto resumes like ftp or binfer.

8. AlphaOmegaStrife

I really do appreciate the quick fixes, gentlemen, but that's basically how I've been transferring files back and forth between computers for a couple of years now due to this problem. I've split stuff into files and transferred it with a flash drive and used FTPs before alike, and I'm really just trying to get what I thought should be simple to work correctly so it isn't too much of a hassle anymore.

If I'm looking in the wrong place for such a solution, could anyone recommend a different forum I could try asking? I just don't know where to begin.

9. AmerNetworks

AmerNetworks

I would try adjusting the MTU value on your router.

10. valis

valis Moderator

give Terrynet a few to think about it; he's probably forgotten more networking stuff than I'll learn in several lifetimes.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't recall an issue like this before. Sounds to me like a defective router (ethernet switch portion), defective cable or defective ethernet adapter. Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it. Try a different cable.

12. AlphaOmegaStrife

Hmm... it seems as though changing the MTU value on the router to Auto has somehow fixed the problem (as of two large file transfers, of 3gb and 6gb respectively). Thanks for the idea! I'll post back if the problem springs up again but I can declare this one solved for now.

13. valis

valis Moderator

told ya he was good. :) Glad it's sorted.

14. AlphaOmegaStrife

Well, I hate to perform necromancy on this thread, but I tried transferring a file today and it failed, citing the same error - even after changing the MTU and factory resetting. Earlier I completed two large transfers with no problem, so it's got to be a random problem. Any other ideas? :(

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!