1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fails to upgrade after McAfee update?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by garyandrews, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garyandrews

garyandrews Thread Starter

I've had this problem for a while now, and I've kind of helped it a little...I used to get a message after a McAfee update, on restart, that "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 %1:%2." I was given a means to correct this from various places including here, all to do with deleting the old system restore folder and creating a new one, some slight differences, but basically the same thing, some worked some didn't but that is sorted now, or so it seems.

Now, when I update McAfee, I simply get the message, "Window could not upgrade one or more system files before starting. Windows may not start or run properly. If Windows fails to start, run SETUP again."
    This may or may not be to do with the McAfee update, as upon checking, the update has always 'taken', as is all up to date. It might just be to do with the fact that this is the only update program I have that requires a restart, (spywareblaster, and spybot S&D don't require restarts).

One thing that may be involved is this, the latest active X that is required for some sites I visit, doesn't alway 'stick', I have to reload it every so often (I wonder if it's because I am still on ME, and it doesn't really suit it).
    I have a workarond for that problem, I simply visit one of the sites (bigstockphoto) and it reloads itself automatically, savig me having to do anything. The fact that it does this every so often, makes me realise that the active X isnot always 'taking'. So the Windows message, above, might be reffering to the activeX, rather than McAfee.
    Any ideas?
    Gary

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

3. garyandrews

garyandrews Thread Starter

That's one of the answers I used to get rid of the original problem. This message seems a little different, maybe it is the same problem you think? I just don't get the %1%2 stuff now. Just a general message. Do you think it's the same thing?
    The last time I did this it appeared to work, though now the slightly differently worded message comes up.

4. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Can you tell me the exact message you get now?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice