1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Failure configuring service pack. Reverting Changes'

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by corsac, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. corsac

corsac Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium x64, trying to install service pack 1 thru windows update. First time I tried to install along with some other updates and it failed to download. Second time I downloaded on its own and it installed fine. Computer then restarted and displayed 'Failure configuring service pack. Reverting Changes'. Now it keeps restarting and doing the same thing over. Please help! I can't access my computer while this is happening. Thanks.

2. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

press "f8" key after bios post but before windows load(press multiple times to be sure) then select "last good configuration"( or somthing like that) then go to control panel/ uninstall a program (in category view) click "view installed updates" on the left pane and remove service pack 1.
    if the last good configuration dont work try with "safe mode"

3. corsac

corsac Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I should have said, after a few restarts I was able to log in but the update had failed. I'm reluctant to try to install it again because it will probably do the same thing. From what I've read it's not really worth installing anyway. Any thoughts?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

My advice is to uninstall all security applications except for the Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials and try again. (Reinstall after the update.)

Others advise when having trouble with the Windows Update method to download SP1 from Microsofts' web site.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988861