1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failure to connect to System Event Notification service (V2)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hellwoodice, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hellwoodice

hellwoodice Thread Starter

Sorry, I know that a thread already exist with the Title "Failure to connect to System Event Notification service".
    But having tried everything in the thread and without any success, I decided that it was important to post the solution that fixed the problem in my case.
    I had the problem with Windows 7.
    After many hours trying anything I found on the web, I was being reinstalling my BitDefender AntiVirus.
    (Because I uninstalled is to allow me to perform a System Restore to a date before the problem occured)
    Anyway my System Restore did not work.
    Then, while I was reinstalling BitDefender, the problem was still there...
    But during the re-installation of BitDefender, the installer told me that I should uninstall MalwareBytes because it could cause conflicts. So I did.
    Then after rebooting, and the problem was gone at the next login and then BitDefender finalised it's installation.
    So, I strongly believe that it was solved by uninstalling MalwareBytes.
    Now, after 4 reboots, I don't see the problem anymore.

2. kenbok51

kenbok51

There are two types of malwarebytes, the free and pro versions. Even the free version wants to install initially as a pro trial which means it's an active scanner rather than on demand like the free version is supposed to be. Having more than one active virus or malware scanner installed at one time can cause problems, but you can have any number of on demand scanners installed at the same time as your one active scanner since they only run if you ask them to (on demand).

I have seen programs like that ask if you want to install the pro trial and even if you opt out they still install certain files so you can activate the trial at a later date. That may be the issue here where malwarebytes installed things you opted out of without your permission that conflict with bitdefender. You might have some luck contacting malwarebytes to see if they will give you a link to an on demand only installer so you can still use it along with bitdefender. It's worth a try if you like malwarebytes as I do.

3. hellwoodice

False alert! The problem came back a few days after.
    I don't know what to do (having tried the solutions proposed in the other thread).

@kenbok51 Thank for the information. The version I had was the free version. However, now, it's seems that it was not the source of the problem!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  4. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

you can disable premium settings in malwarebytes. including online protection in the trial version.Im pretty sure i opted out of the premium version through the settings after i downloaded it and it went back to the free manual scanner version.

5. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

Make sure "com+event" is started in administrative tools/services and set to automatic as it is a dependency for system event notification service.

6. hellwoodice

The latest Windows Update seams to have fixed the problem on my PC:
    2018-03 Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4100480)

7. db31065

db31065

Thanks for the info hellwoodice, I'm going to see if my pc has that KB4100480 update and get it if it doesn't. This problem is driving me nuts, nothing I've tried has solved it.

8. db31065

db31065

No luck, pc already had that update.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1207231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice