1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

failure to exe any function

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jnpburman, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnpburman

jnpburman Thread Starter

I am using windows 98SE with Internet Explorer 6 and
    Outlook Express 6. I can send and receive e-mail O.K.
    I can look up any topic on the internet and receive information
    about it. I cannot receive any free or shareware from the
    internet. My system will not execute any download of software. I tried to receive Netxcape 6.2.1 to get away from IE6 but it wouldn't download either...Any suggestions helpfull.
    266mhz pc with128sdram, 5.1 gb hard drive on cable internet.
    Thank you...jnpburman

2. brianF

brianF

3. weatherman436

weatherman436

I didn't know if this would work. You could try Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information. Than Click on tools and Internet Explorer Repair Tool. I am not sure what the IE Repair tool does because I don't have it even know I have Windows 98 Second Edition.

As a test, can you download this?

If not, this was posted by WhitPhil for another situation with downloading problems and I think it could be related to your issue too if Quicktime left behind a plugin for the download dialog box.

Try this and see what happens.

Start>Run, key in Regedit and press enter.

Double left click on each of these in the Left Pane.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins

Now in the Left pane you should see a subkey named "Extension" that's listed "within" and underneath the "Plugins" key in the Left side of the screen. Right click on it and select Delete. Now close Regedit.

Restart Windows and then try downloading with IE.

BTW, please be careful and see the attached file so your sure you delete the correct one. You'll see another key called "Extensions", plural with an "s", that's not "within" and underneath the "Plugin" key. You don't want to delete that one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice