1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failure to load Windows XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kdjlaw, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kdjlaw

kdjlaw Thread Starter

I bought a used computer which was loaded with Windows 98. Because I have Windows XP on the computer (which I own) at my office, I wanted to load XP on the used computer for use at home. The new (used) computer has a Pentium III 450 processor, 128 mb ram. I began loading the program and left the computer alone for a half hour or so. When I returned, the screen read, in the upper right hand corner, in plain white print, "Welcome to Setup." The only response I can get is if I press Enter and the screen reads, this time in the center of the page and still in plain white letters, "Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM." No matter what I do that won't change. If I turn the computer off and re-start it I get the same result. Help! Have I destroyed this computer? What do I do now?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Presumably this is a new full version of XP you are loading, and not a disk that was supplied with another PC?
    Does the install begin OK?

The computer specs "just meet" the recommended minimum, it should install (but might be painfully slow).

3. kdjlaw

kdjlaw Thread Starter

It was a disk that was supplied with my Compaq. The install began OK but I left it alone. I'll gladly give up on the Windows XP and go back to 98 but I don't know how. I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap. I do not have the Windows 98 disk for the computer I just bought.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You must not use the "disk supplied with your Compaq", for 2 reasons.

One is that it will be specific to that hardware (which will be why it's behaving oddly I suspect) and the other is that you have to have a separate licence for each install, as even if the Compaq disk did install, you would be detected as running a pirate copy at activation, and the system would fail anyway.

You can only install a copy of Windows on one PC.

You should have got the Windows 98 disk with the other PC, if you did not then technically you probably do not have a licence for that copy either (now you don't have the software anyway, after the failed XP install).

Is there a Windows sticker with the CD Key numbers on it attached to the case antwhere?

5. kdjlaw

kdjlaw Thread Starter

Nope. I just looked. Am I dead?

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You need a new copy of either 98 (well, would be second hand now) or XP.

The old 98 installation sounds like it is toast, but remember you never had any rights or ownership of it anyway by the sound of it. You don't even have the COA or CD Key number, so plainly it was not included in the sale. If it was supposed to be, then get back to the supplier.

98 does not have activation or checking that it is not already installed on another PC, so a full copy would load if you could find it. This is just an observation and not a recommendation that you should breach any license agreements.....

You would have been limited anyway, as many things require you to need the CD.

7. kdjlaw

kdjlaw Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your help. I'll try to find Win 98.

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Was the '98 installation working? I guess so. Have you tried using a '98 bootdisk to get you to a DOS prompt and typing:

A:\>scanreg /restore

Choose a date before the install, highlight it and then press OK.

If it restores the system run: scandisk /all /surface , to check the file structure & the drive.

Do you have a '98 bootdisk BELONGING to this system?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice