1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Failure to load windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Patrick`, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Patrick`

Patrick` Thread Starter

Well when I try to start up windows I get the screen with the windows xp logo and the bar thingy that runs through the box. It looks something like this picture I made in MS Paint.

[​IMG]

Yeah, well you get the idea. I'm thinking it could have damaged one of the system files, something similar happened to my uncle. He was shutting down his computer and he all of a sudden pulled the power and his computer went dead because it was the exact wrong time to pull the power.

I tried diagnostics and it said the computer was fine.

Please help!

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you tried Tapping F8 on re-start and choosing Last Known Good Configuration

3. Patrick`

Patrick` Thread Starter

well when it starts up it automatically goes to that page where it says

start in:

safe mode
    safe mode with networking
    safe mode with command prompt

last known good configuartion

start windows normally.
    ---
    so yeah...i have

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you choosen last known good configuartion and what happens

5. Patrick`

Patrick` Thread Starter

it goes to that screen that is pictured in the first post and then the bar just freezes

6. bonk

bonk Banned

And if you choose Safemode what happens ...can you get in to Safemode.....and do you have the Operating System on disk or is it just a recovery disk

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

REGISTRY WARNING: The details that follow require an above-average understanding of the technical topics involved. If you do not understand the Registry material presented here, either find a technically-knowledgeable friend or do not attempt to repair your system Registry yourself. Improper changes in the System Registry can render all data on your hard disk inaccessible.

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please give this a try and print it out for reference

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Here is a link to a registry backup program that is absolutely fantastic it is called ERUNT

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Remember to always keep a backup of two things:

Your registry and your data. You will never be sorry.

8. Patrick`

Patrick` Thread Starter

^^ Yeah I don't wanna mess around with hardware, I'm not good at that stuff, plus I don't really care about the files on the computer, my only problem is if I reformat the HD then I won't have anti-virus software. All I have on it now is what came with the computer.

Safe mode and Safe mode with networking don't work period.

Edit: Oh yeah, do you have AIM? If you do you can just talk to me there - my aim is Dogboy776

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

That sounds like hard drive croaked...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/505853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice