1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

faint black lines

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SabreWolf3, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SabreWolf3

SabreWolf3 Thread Starter

Hi all,

My friend has a Dell P780 flat panel CRT monitor... and there are two faint, black lines appearing horizontally across his screen. The lines go all the way across the screen. The first line is 1/3rd of the way down from the top, and the second line is 1/3rd of the way up from the bottom. What are these lines? Are they dead scan areas or something?

Thanks for the help.
    -- Richard

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Is he overdriving the LCD (beyond its natuaral capacity?). If so, it could be that the overdriving is causing something similar to moire.

3. chakorules

chakorules

Is this a NEW LCD? Ask the vendor if there is a DEAD pixel policy. Sounds like you lost a whole row of pixels. This is common in LCD screens.

4. chakorules

chakorules

errrr....wait...

You said flat panel "CRT"....do you mean LCD or a CRT?

If it's a CRT with lines, that's normally a video card sometimes. Can you swap a video card and check?

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Wow.... I didnt even catch that. Yeah, most likely software (/ graphics hardware) here.

6. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

The tube in the CRT monitor is likely to be a Sony Triniton tube. These require what is called a "mask" for some technical reason I cannot recall.

One of the effects of this mask is two faint lines either horizontally or vertically on the screen.

If the tube is a Triniton, they are quite normal. Nothing can be done about them, by any means.

hth

Ceri

7. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

ceri sheeran is right.
    I have a flat panal CRT myself (NEC MultiSync FE700+) and I have the same lines. Here's a quote from the book. "Thin lines are normal for an aperture grille CRT and are not a malfunction. These are shadows from the damper wires used to stablilize the aperture grille and are most noticeable when the screen's background is light (usually white)."

John

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice