1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Faint clicking sounds in background

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Thormond, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thormond

Thormond Thread Starter

I recently got Call of Duty World at War and found out that the patch required users with windows vista to have to set their sound format to 16 bit 44100 Hz (studio quality) However they released another patch since then that fixed the problem so I tried to set my format back to anything on 24 bit but then I get these faint clicking sounds, like when a tape player comes to the end of the tape and you can hear it click through the head sets, it sounds like that but is faint. Also I have noticed when I get mail it will make a scratching sound.

I have no idea what is causing this, the computer came set at 24 bit 192000 Hz and I had no problems but now that I am trying to reverse back it is making all these annoying sounds.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Sounds like you're "bleeding" at certain frequencies and/or sound levels. Is the headset mini sterio plug or USB? If its not USB you can try that and see if the noise goes away. Also check all the levels on all your sound layers; one of them might be set to max instead of mid-range, and also check each input and output port/connection in the sound properties and turn off the ones not in use.

If there's a sound card in the system, sometimes moving it to the most distant port from the other components will help. I suspect the sound was there all the time but some setting is maxed out or the drivers increased the dynamic range or something like that and now disk activity and other noisy things going on in the computer are beind picked up. I've had several computers over the years with various bleed-thru noises and usually a USB headset will clear that up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/815605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice