1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Faint Static Pops Over Speakers

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Deersindal, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deersindal

Deersindal Thread Starter

I have, for about a few weeks, been dealing with random, faint static pops that have been coming from my speakers. Another tech support forum has done nothing to help me, so I am turning here for advice. Basically here is what I know

1. It is not the speakers; If I use headphones plugged directly into the computer, the popping continues.

2. It is not the motherboard; I swapped the motherboard.

3. It is not the operating system; I did a reformat.

4. It is not the file itself; They play fine on my iPod.

I am suspecting it might be my power supply dying, but I would like confirmation on this. The pops are not very audible, but if you are paying attention to your music, they can really disrupt the flow of the song.

In an additional note in trying to describe what the pops sound like, at the beginning of this youtube video there are several clicks (part of the song) that soung almost identical to what I'm hearing, although a bit louder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj5r8fB8W3M

2. Deersindal

I should mention that I am also an admin on my system

3. Deersindal

Is it remotely possible that it could be my graphics card? In case you couldn't tell, I'm trying ot think of everything possible...

4. Deersindal

Mentioning another audio problem I'm having on my computer, my version of iTunes (9.0.2.something), after being listened to for a while, will randomly decide top play all my songs at a super fast speed, like 1 song in about 10 seconds. The pitch doesn't go up (not chipmunks), and the only way to remedy this is to restart iTunes, but wtf is going on here I doubt this is common?

5. Deersindal

I switched my power supply and moved the outlet my computer is plugged into to a different one across the room. Although the faint static pops that randomly happened are gone, they are replaced by louder, more infrequent ones. Help?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!